Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cgiuffre  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2016 6:07:08 PM(UTC)
cgiuffre

Groups: Registered

Greetings Appliance Wizards and Gurus!
I have a well used, but lovingly cared for ;) GE Profile washer, that up until a couple of weeks ago was an otherwise flawlessly operating machine; but has since run into some trouble.
A couple of weeks ago (the day before holiday company arrived - of course) the pump stopped working. I took it apart and found some pillow filling had clogged the impeller and burned out the pump motor. Replaced the pump and it drains fine.
However, upon start up I noticed a ticking noise in the main motor. Wash cycle worked fine, and the first spin cycle was fine too. And it drained flawlessly (:D). Put in a small load of clothes, and started again. Washed fine, drained fine, but as soon as the spin cycle started, and the drum began to turn, it stopped. Maybe 5 or 6 seconds of spin. It goes through the rest of the cycles fine.

I found it strange that this occurred immediately after replacing the pump, as it was working fine before. The drum is not wobbling excessively, and does not seem out of balance. I'm wondering if some of the water that came from the pump removal may have splashed up and damaged a component? Either an electrical switch, or possibly gummed up the grease in a bearing?

I am marginally proficient in mechanical repair (hey, I replaced the pump!), and my instinct tells me that there is something wrong with the clutch, or some sort of load switch? Sound close? What do you think?

Thanks for your help!
- Chris
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.