Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
concertina  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:38:43 PM(UTC)
concertina

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

I have a Whirlpool top loader, model #WTW4800XQ4, that's making some crazy noises. The noise is heard whenever the basket spins, so during drain/spin and spin cycles. If I spin the basket manually, it makes a creaking noise (a noise that turns into a high-pitched squeak at high speeds). Here is an example of the noise:

https://youtu.be/2pWVfuKQXmo

I can't narrow down precisely where the noise is coming from. The washer is working fine aside from the noise, but it's really annoying. It does seem to take a while to stop spinning, but I don't know how long it used to take before it started making the noise. It's a little over 2 years old. Any ideas or advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Jen
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Tech72  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:12:47 PM(UTC)
Tech72

This is caused by either suspension or main seal.
If it's the seal, it could cause a leak over time due to premature seal failure. This is a rather extensive repair, however it is not common.

The most common issue from your description is suspension noise. Not a major issue but certainly an annoying one. Easily repaired with a little grease under the suspension cups where they mount to the rail just under the top of the washer.

The easiest way to make sure its not the seal, move the tub back and forth without spinning the basket. If it squeaks, then your issue is in the suspension.

I hope this helps!!
concertina  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:58:57 AM(UTC)
concertina

Thank you, Tech72. It doesn't squeak when I move the tub back and forth, but I hear a soft click.
concertina  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:21:07 AM(UTC)
concertina

Is there a way to determine if it IS the main seal? I'm going to delve into it more tonight, so I'm wondering if there's anything in particular that I should be looking for. Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, I just re-read your reply and got my answer. I'm awaiting some parts and will post an update once I know more.
concertina  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:42:16 PM(UTC)
concertina

Update: I replaced the main seal and drive block, and it didn't make a difference. I still don't know the cause of the issue.
concertina  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 11:22:35 AM(UTC)
concertina

Another update: it's the transmission. I decided to drop the gearcase again, and when I rotated the drive shaft by hand, the noise occurred. I'm not exactly sure which component of the transmission is making the noise, but I'm guessing it's a bearing.
VC  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2023 12:02:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
A repairman found that our 5 month old Whirlpool top load washer's squeal (once every revolution) while spinning was caused by the gearcase. This was after eliminating all other possible sources. He replaced the gearcase under warranty and the squeal is gone.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply