Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gotimmygo89  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 5, 2015 7:12:57 AM(UTC)
gotimmygo89

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool washer WTW5500XW0 just over 5 years old. First noticed a problem where a weird noise was occurring and the unit failed to begin the cycle. Determined that the unit would fail or get 'hung-up' during the sensing phase of the cycle. The lid locks, and the sensing light comes on. It spins a few times, lid unlocks, then the lid re-locks. This was the normal procedure for the washer. At this point it begins to try and spin once more and a whirring noise is heard, and the washer fails to move forward in the sequence. Additionally the washer will not stop attempting to do whatever it is that it's doing even when turned off. The unit most be unplugged before whatever operation it is attempting to perform stops. Once plugged back in it continues to attempt this process with the lid still locked. Turning the knob, entering diagnostic mode or sometimes waiting it out will unlock the lid and the process will end.

The only error code in the system is f1 Motor Control Fault. I followed the diagnostics and it has no trouble performing. It has also successfully made it through the Automatic Test Mode and the Gentle Agitation test. It has run successfully a few times since first showing this error, but now no longer works. From reading through forums it appears it could either be the Shift Actuator, or the Electronic Control Board. All other threads I've read haven't exactly matched my issue but have been close. I'm just wondering if it could be any other issue before I attempt to replace the shift actuator and see if that solves the issue. My only other thoughts would be some issue with a sensor, or some issue with how the water is added. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.