Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Grigs68  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2015 6:02:29 PM(UTC)
Grigs68

Groups: Registered

I have a 3-4 year old GE washing machine that leaks down the shaft. I just replaced the tub seal, tub bearing and bearing washer and it leaks just as it did before. The old seal looked terrible so I assumed a new seal would correct the leaking but it did not. What else could cause it to leak down the shaft?

It is possible that is has done this since new and I just had not noticed. Since I only run it once a week the washers base pan catches the water and it is not noticeable without removing the front panel. That base pan has a lot of rust indicating that it has been leaking for quite a while. Now that it has done it a while I think it has caused the bearings in the mode shifter/transmission to rust. That caused it to start making a lot of noise on spin cycle and the reason I took off the front panel.

Any suggestions for something else to check would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Grigs68  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2015 9:21:14 PM(UTC)
Grigs68

Groups: Registered

I pulled the tub to check the new seal and it had moved up a little. This seems to be a very poor design as it there is nothing mechanically holding the seal in place other than a little friction. I pushed it back down really well and put the machine back together. On the next run it still leaked although not quite as bad this time. I pulled it all apart again (I am getting good at pulling it apart by this point) and I could not tell if the seal had moved up much this time but it sure was not snug. I pulled the seal again and put a small amount of Permatex Blue RTV Gasket Maker around the outside of the seal and pushed it back into place, put the machine back together and waited 24 hours. This time when I ran the machine....no leaks! I am not sure if the solution will be long term or not but at least for the moment, it is not leaking. I was a afraid to use some type of strong adhesive in case I had to replace the seal again. I also wanted something flexible and that would not be affected by hot water. The gasket maker seemed to be a perfect match for what I was looking for and has held through at least one wash.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply