Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mordecai  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 8:31:13 PM(UTC)
Mordecai

Groups: Registered

I have a 13 year old Kenmore 80 Series Washer - Model 23812100. The problem I am having is that it doesn't spin unless I open the lid and close the lid....then it spins fine. I replaced the clutch assembly thinking this would resolve the problem but it didn't......any thoughts on what might be the problem?

PS: When I replaced the clutch assembly the old clutch assembly was full of grease....does this indicate another failing part or is this what a 13 year old clutch assembly looks like?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 18, 2015 4:03:00 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The clutch assembly should have been dry so this suggests the transmission seal is leaking and if you do not fix that and have the transmission full of fluid then the transmission will fail.

It is possible that your lid switch is failing, but more likely that the transmission is not pausing as it should to allow the machine to shift from neutral to drain/spin. In that case the transmission will have to be replaced. It is an expensive part so you may want to consider a new, no frills top loader.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply