Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Punisher Bass  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 4:30:16 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

Groups: Registered

I have a 23 year old KitchenAid Two Speed Quiet Scrub Extra Capacity/Heavy Duty clothes washer. The number under the lid says it's a Stylemaster No. 622784.

It's served me well for many years, but tonight while I had a load of towels going, I heard it make an odd noise but didn't think too much of it. When I lifted the lid and saw they were still damp, so I set it spin again, I turned it on and I heard the motor inside doing its thing but the drum itself (is that the right name for it?) wasn't moving an inch.

So I'm guessing the belt or whatever it is that makes it go around is what I heard snap, and I'm hoping someone can help me get it fixed without spending a fortune to have someone else come in and do it. I'm not really in a position to buy a new washer right now either, so repairing this myself is the preferred option.

Can anyone please help me?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Punisher Bass  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2015 4:21:02 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

I did some digging and found the old registration card, and I see that the "622784" number is not correct. The correct model number is KAWE540WWH2 and the serial number is CB2501219.

I hope that helps.
Punisher Bass  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2015 7:10:02 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

I've done a bit more research, and I was way off on the belt idea, from what I've gathered I think either what I heard was the transmission exploding or maybe the clutch. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there some way for me to tell what it might be without going into the bottom?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 4:58:10 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This is a direct drive machine so there is no belt. Sounds like it's probably a broken motor coupler. Removing the cabinet will give you full access to the drive train. Here is your parts manual and link for a new coupler if needed.

http://shared.whirlpoolc...20List%20-%203357532.pdf

Whirlpool 285753A Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupling - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
Punisher Bass  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:24:33 AM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

Thank you very much for the reply, I hope a new coupler is all it needs. I'll have to drag the machine out of the utility closet to get at it, then I'll report whatever I find.

Thanks again.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 12:06:55 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

You may not need to pull the machine out. The cabinet comes off from the front. See video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAFQnkapLM

Eric
Punisher Bass  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 1:12:46 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

Eric, thank you so much. I got the cover off without having to take the machine itself out, it was tight but I managed. Other than some electrical cylinder doo dad on the side of the motor that I had to unscrew, the video was very very accurate.

Yes it was the coupler, the whole thing was completely trashed. The rubber coupler itself was clearly worn out and badly mangled, and I can see where each plastic bit used to have three nubs and not just one across both.

UserPostedImage

Again, thank you so so so much, I'll get a new part ordered and hopefully everything will be fine and dandy once again.
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 3:39:31 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Ok, great, simple fix. Just remember when installing the coupler halves on the motor shaft and transmission shaft, to use a socket and hammer and tap them on so that the hub of the plastic halves are flush with the ends of the shafts. This is very important, otherwise when you reinstall the motor, there will be too much lateral pressure on the motor shaft and it can quickly ruin the motor bearings.

Eric
Punisher Bass  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 12:58:39 PM(UTC)
Punisher Bass

The parts arrived today, and I had everything on and back together within an hour. Biggest pain was getting the couplers mounted flush like you said. They were very tight so it took a lot of tapping to get them on there correctly. But I just started a test load and everything seems fine, it fills, agitates, and spins with zero problems, in fact I think it vibrates less while spinning than it used to.

Thanks once again Eric, you've been a major help. If/when something else happens (god forbid) to an appliance, I'll come here first instead of calling the repair man.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply