Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brb198  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 6:03:34 AM(UTC)
brb198

Groups: Registered

Please see attached pictures. I am attempting to recover a necklace that fell apart and is in the catch basin. I have removed everything including the spanner nut but the metal tub still does not come out. What am I missing or what is causing this to continue being stuck to the catch basin? I have sprayed everything with Blaster PB-16 to penetrate any rust. I feel like I must be missing another screw or nut but can't find anything!

Please assist.

Thank you!
brb198 attached the following image(s):
IMG_20150521_062542.jpg
IMG_20150523_154104.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 6:47:43 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well, for one you need to remove the outer tub top ring. The inner tub can be a bear to break loose as the drive block can become corroded to the tub and to the transmission shaft. Banging on the top of the drive block with a drift pin and brute force will usually break it loose. Be careful not to damage the two ears of the transmission shaft that the drive block engages with.

Eric
brb198  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 9:06:28 AM(UTC)
brb198

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Well, for one you need to remove the outer tub top ring. The inner tub can be a bear to break loose as the drive block can become corroded to the tub and to the transmission shaft. Banging on the top of the drive block with a drift pin and brute force will usually break it loose. Be careful not to damage the two ears of the transmission shaft that the drive block engages with.

Eric

How do I remove the outer tub top ring? I see on similar machines there are a series of tabs to pop out. This one appears to be stuck there and there are no visible tabs. It seems as though it is all connected as one unit. I have tried with much force to pop out any part of it and it does not budge. Are you sure this comes off?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:10:11 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

OK, so it looks like in your second photo that you have already removed the outer tub top ring, is that correct? If so, then that's it, you don't need to remove anything from the inner tub.

Eric
brb198  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:01:10 AM(UTC)
brb198

OK, so it looks like in your second photo that you have already removed the outer tub top ring, is that correct? If so, then that's it, you don't need to remove anything from the inner tub.

Eric

I attempted to remove the white plastic ring around the top but there were no visible clips or parts that allow it to detach. it seems to be connected fully to the metal tub so I don't see any reason why it would lock it in or restrict it. I am still frustrated that the metal tub wont lift out of the plastic catch basin. I am pretty strong and it isn't budging. Any tips? I sincerely appreciate your rapid responses!
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 1:18:41 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

It's just that the drive block has corroded and basically welded everything together. Get a helper and try rocking the tub back and forth really hard. This is a common problem but usually only happens on older units, this one is only about 4-5 years old.

Eric
brb198  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 2:22:59 PM(UTC)
brb198

It's just that the drive block has corroded and basically welded everything together. Get a helper and try rocking the tub back and forth really hard. This is a common problem but usually only happens on older units, this one is only about 4-5 years old.

Eric

I have tried with brute force, hammers, sledge hammers, plyers, and the PB chemical on the joints. I have attached a more closeup picture of the block. All of this rotates together. Is it the outer or inner ring that is stuck? Is there something underneath that I need to unscrew? I am getting very frustrated with this thing! I appreciate your help!
brb198 attached the following image(s):
IMG_20150526_181720.jpg
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:08:21 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Nothing else has to be removed. The drive block is stuck to both the tub and the basket drive (transmission shaft). Try pouring boiling hot water from a tea kettle all around the top of the drive block.

Eric
brb198  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 7:32:50 PM(UTC)
brb198

The hot water trick didn't work :( I have clotted up the hole in the ring with duct tape and am soaking the block in PB blaster overnight. It is my last ditch effort! Let me know if you have any other ideas.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply