Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Icanfixit55  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2015 11:52:06 AM(UTC)
Icanfixit55

Groups: Registered

My customer has a commercial coin operated Maytag washer. I have brought it in to my shop to investigate the transmission.
My question is about the drive pulley action when engaged to spin.
What is happening is the spiral drive shaft descends too far from the lock up spin mode. What part in the transmission wears to allow this condition? I have the transmission apart but do not see any worn or broken components.
Thanks for any advice. I will replace the transmission but want to understand how this works.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2015 2:33:08 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
In spin direction, the pulley "climbs" up the shaft pushing upward against the brake rotor to release the brake. At the same time the shaft is pulled downward. Inside the transmission, the shaft goes through the input pinion gear and then the stop collar. Under the pinion is the clutch consisting of two washers, one stationary and one splined to the shaft (rotates with shaft). There should be very little downward movement of the shaft. The stop collar pulls down on the pinion which forces the clutch washers together. The pin that holds the stop collar may have sheared off. In some transmissions, a C clip is used instead of a stop collar and pin. Not sure which one yours uses.

Eric

Here's a photo of one with a broken stop collar pin

UserPostedImage
Icanfixit55  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2015 3:56:47 PM(UTC)
Icanfixit55

Thanks Eric,
I have the series with the clips holding the drive shaft. I did not accurately describe the shaft movement. It climbs up the shaft and releases the brake and spins the whole transmission OK. Where the problem occurs is when rotation reverses and the shaft retracts so far it pops the dust cap off. I have set the stop cam at the 3/8 gap however the shaft retracts too far.
Could the pinion gear and the clutch washer be worn to cause this?
Thanks for the quick reply and excellent description of operation.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2015 5:18:42 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Doesn't make sense. The only time there is any pulling down of the shaft is in spin cycle. The pulley bearing is pushing up on the brake rotor causing the pulley hub to pull down on the shaft. The amount of downward movement of the shaft is miniscule, just enough to squeeze the clutch washers together. In agitation direction, the pulley winds back down the shaft til it hits the stop but there is nothing actually pulling down on the shaft at this point. The dust cap is pressed onto the pulley so I don't see what would be popping it off. Does the washer agitate ok? Is the popping off of the dust cap the only problem?

Eric
Icanfixit55  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2015 7:14:13 PM(UTC)
Icanfixit55

Maybe I'm not describing this correctly. The drive shaft decends as you explained when the pully climbs upward and squeezes the pinion gear against the clutch washer. As you said there should be only a smal difference in spin and agitate modes. I'll post a photo tomorrow showing what I'm trying to describe.
Thanks for your input.
Icanfixit55  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2015 6:52:28 PM(UTC)
Icanfixit55

I put the clutch plate, pinion gear and lip seal in the transmission and have the unit back together. So far so good. Evidently a few thousandths wear on the clutch washer and nylon pinion was the culprit. Additionally replaced tub bearing, lower bearing and tub seal
Thanks for the pointers. I had serviced a lot of dependable care washers but only a few transmission replacements. So today is accounted as an educational experience. Too bad this unit is no longer made.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply