Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gregg K  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 15, 2015 5:00:29 PM(UTC)
Gregg K

Groups: Registered

The washer was stopping mid-cycle randomly. Suspecting the lid switch, I jumpered it and the problem remained. I then replaced the timer with a Whirlpool Factory Certified Part. The timer just seems to stop during the wash cycle before it has a chance to drain. Turning the knob all the way around again seems to temporarily take care of the problem. I'm at a loss as how to continue at this point. It just electrically seems to stop like it's at the end of the cycle (doesn't even try to drain when it fails). Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 8:23:51 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
We need the model number of the machine.

Eric
Gregg K  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 8:40:48 AM(UTC)
Gregg K

It's 110.23812100

Thanks.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 11:28:29 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

You really need to to some voltage checks to find out where the problem is. Could be a bad connection at the motor harness connector or motor thermal overload switch. Check those two terminals coming off the thermal overload. Unplug the motor connector and check contacts for corrosion or burning. Pull wires to make sure none are broken.

Eric
Gregg K  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 4:27:21 PM(UTC)
Gregg K

Great suggestions as I would like to perform some further tests before brute force replacement of parts. Thanks!

P.S. The last 2 loads were trouble free. I'm still suspecting the timer (even though it was replaced). Is it possible that a new timer may need to wear in or "sync up" in some way?
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 16, 2015 6:48:16 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

No wear-in or sync up but could have been poor contact between timer wiring harness plug and timer or a faulty wire connection at that plug. If it happens again, try moving those wires around to see if you can locate where the fault may be.

Eric
Gregg K  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2015 4:06:30 AM(UTC)
Gregg K

OK, I'll keep investigating and if I find something definitive, I'll post a followup here. Thanks.
Gregg K  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2015 1:43:19 PM(UTC)
Gregg K

Well the last 4 loads have worked just fine. That occurred after replacing the shell properly (prior to that, I didn't realize the front edge of the shell has to engage under the lip on the front of the frame). The washer runs smoother now of course. Could it have been cutting out due to that? I've never seen the washer stop due to vibration imbalance, but I'm hoping somehow not having the shell on right was causing the stop.
Gregg K  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:13:32 PM(UTC)
Gregg K

Well the timer definitely seems to be the problem because after several loads there have been absolutely no issues. That was further confirmed by inspecting the contacts of the old timer. One was blackened and badly burnt out and a few of the others didn't look so great either. Thank you for your suggestions.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply