Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 11:24:10 AM(UTC)
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net

Groups: Registered

How do I know if my timer is bad? My washer works fine for the first 5 minutes or so (agitates), then goes into this wimpy, sluggish agitation mode accompanied by this electronic clicking noise that is definitely not normal. It will spin fine. I've recently replaced the motor coupler, door switch & other various minor parts & pieces. Last night I tore apart the transmission & found it pristine. It also works flawlessly. I'm thinking it is an electrical component. But don't know where to start.

TKS,

Jef
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 1:08:50 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Could be a faulty motor switch. Can you provide a photo of the wiring diagram and timer chart? It's no longer available for that old (1988) model. Typically, the motor shifts to low speed for the last part of the agitation cycle. If there's a bad contact in the motor switch, it can cause the motor to continuously cut on and off rather than go into low speed.

Eric
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 6:22:35 PM(UTC)
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net

It took me a while, but I hope you can read this. I had to really shrink it down.

TKS,

Jef
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net attached the following image(s):
IMG_0086.jpg whirlpool.jpg
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2015 5:37:49 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Last 6 minutes of regular wash cycle agitation is low speed. Does the same clicking noise occur during gentle cycle? That cycle is low speed agitation only. If it happens there as well, it is most likely the motor switch. It could be an open low speed motor winding but that is rare. Disconnect the motor connector and check resistance on motor between the violet wire and the white/black wire. Should be a couple ohms. If it's open, the winding is bad. If it checks ok, take the cover off the motor switch and check the low speed contacts.

Eric

UserPostedImage
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:16:28 PM(UTC)
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net

The Ohms were 2-3 across those low speed windings. Here's what I found inside the motor switch. Burnt terminals, but different than the ones you indicated. So, can I assume I should go ahead & buy a new motor switch?

Thanks for all your help!

Jef
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net attached the following image(s):
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:18:26 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Can't say for sure without further testing. Those other contacts are for the start winding. Once the motor starts, it opens to disconnect the start winding. Since the motor is starting ok, they are working even though they don't look so good. When the washer goes to low speed, power is timer to motor via orange wire. With motor running, power via orange wire goes through the switch contacts to the violet wire (low speed winding). You need to check for any voltage drop across those contacts. The problem may be elsewhere such as a faulty connection at the terminal the orange wire connects to. It may also be a voltage drop through the timer contact for the orange wire.

Eric
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 17, 2015 7:44:08 PM(UTC)
jefmeller@sbcglobal.net

Eric,

Thanks for the advise. My wife ordered a new washer today, as this one is so old. I honestly think there's more on the verge of failing with it besides the low speed agitation. There are huge delays between the modes of each cycle, if they will go at all.

Jef
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply