Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bill7gmail.com  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2015 9:43:19 AM(UTC)
Bill7gmail.com

Groups: Registered

My Whirlpool washer will not agitate. It performs all other functions, including drain & spin. I replaced the agitator assembly (dogs, etc) in the top of the agitator, although they worked fine. This made no difference.
I was told by local appliance service tech the transmission was the problem and needs replacement. If trans is bad wouldn't it also not spin?
I'm now thinking it's a bad PCB inside the motor, not allowing the motor to run in the direction needed to agitate. Does this make sense? Any way to test without actually buying and swapping out the motor?
Thanks for any advice!
Bill
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2015 10:47:59 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
There isn't any PCB in the motor. Yes, it's possible to have a fault in the transmission preventing agitation but allowing spin. What does it do when it should be agitating? Is the motor running? Best to remove the cabinet and bypass the lid switch to see what's going on in agitation mode. Pull the drain pump off the motor and rotate the motor shaft CCW. Check to see if transmission input shaft is rotating. If it is, but agitator is not going back and forth, then the transmission is bad.

Cabinet removal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAFQnkapLM

Lid switch bypass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnQ6Ovvnuc

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply