Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
poolsharkzz  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 8:54:38 PM(UTC)
poolsharkzz

Groups: Registered

Whirlpool Stacked "Thin Twin" Washer/Dryer - Model # LTE5243DQ6 - 24 inch - Electric - 6 years old - no problems with anything until now

About a week ago the washer was not advancing cycles so I figured it was the Washer Timer and ordered the replacement part.

Installed the new Timer this morning and filled washer. Washer agitator started on "fast" agitation, and then after a few minutes, the agitator slowed to the usual "regular" speed. So far, so good...

After 2-3 seconds, the usual "regular" agitation stopped, and a "hum" was heard. I shut off the machine, it sounded like the machine locked up and there was this burnt smell, like melting rubber or plastic???

Tried to use the control knob to put it at a drain cycle - it started to drain but after 2-3 seconds, it all locked up again and I heard that "hum" again and that burnt smell came back - a bit stronger than before.

Before I could shut off the machine, it seemed to shut itself off, making a soft click sound and then the main breaker popped in the house. I had to reset it. Must have been some kind of safety feature?

I unplugged the machine and opened a cold beer...

After removing the front panel, I first checked the pump to see if one of my 2 year old's socks may have slipped through and was clogging up the works - no sock - no clog or obstruction of any kind - it seemed okay...

The black "fan blades" inside the water pump moved freely in either direction with the use of a regular screw driver pushing gently downwards through the plastic tubing / housing.

Next was the Motor, which did not seem to be locked up, I could spin it freely and it seemed in good order. Unplugged the wire harness.

Next was checking the Coupler, which seemed in great shape, no cracks or other abnormalities. No sign of melting or other deformity.

After giving everything else a decent look-over and spot cleaning, I put it all back together and plugged it in and guess what? Nothing works, just that "hum" again and that burnt smell came back as well.

I am located 45 minutes north of Chicago, IL - I am in need of a good local repair man who can come by and troubleshoot this mess so I can order the replacement parts - which will arrive in a week - just in time so I can spend my New Years Eve replacing parts on my washing machine! LOL

Merry Christmas to all!

FYI: I am having no problems with the Dryer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.