Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark J  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:35:21 PM(UTC)
Mark J

Groups: Registered

I have a 22 year old Magic Chef washer (model W20HN-23), though it has only been used for approximately 12 of those 22 years.

THE SYMPTONS:

The machine will fill and agitate in the wash cycle in all settings (regular, delicate, pre-wash). It will not spin and empty in the spin cycle in any setting (regular, delicate, or pre-wash). There is no sound from the motor when the timer goes into and through the spin cycle on the dial in any of the three wash settings.

Following the first wash cycle, the timer will advance to and through the spin cycle in its normal timed sequence (without any actual spin). When it comes to the rinse cycle, it will then agitate for the rinse. It does not refill with water since the tub has the full load of water from the wash cycle. When it comes to the final spin cycle, everything goes silent again except for the ticking of the timer as it ticks through the final spin on the dial. The clothes and water (with dissolved detergent) remain in the tub after the particular wash setting has completed.

As engaging the spin cycle started to become a problem, I found that if I would push the dial in to the off position, turn the dial (clockwise) manually through the other settings back to the start of the current spin cycle, pull the dial out to the on position, and then slowly, sometimes with different pressure applied, and sometimes fast, turn the dial into the spin cycle, the spin cycle would come on. If I continued to apply the pressure at the dial of the timer for 5 to 10 seconds once spin began and then let go of the dial, the washer would successfully continue the full spin and empty cycle as if nothing was ever wrong.

Sometimes, I would get the spin going in a different mode, such as in the delicate setting rather than the regular setting. Also, the agitate and spin speed setting (normal/fast/gentle/slow) correctly operated and had no affect on whether the spin would come on or not, and the water level setting correctly operates.

If the lid were opened when the machine was actually spinning, the motor and tub would stop the spin cycle. On putting the lid back down, the spin cycle would start again and continue to the end of the cycle.

Eventually, however, even my manual turning of the dial stopped working. The washer no longer spins in any wash setting, though it will fill and agitate in all wash settings.

WHAT I CHECKED:

TIMER. I ordered a timer. It did not solve the problem. The washer would agitate in any wash setting, but would not spin and empty in any wash setting. Note that the timer is not the original part number, but a replacement part (in a box marked Maytag) that is represented as a compatible replacement for the machine from an established reputable source was used. Note however that while the timer looks identical to the original, connects to the wiring harness and knobs the same as the original, it does not turn the machine off when the knob is pressed in and the dial is rotated through the different wash settings.

LID SWITCH. I checked the lid switch for continuity. When not engaged, I get a clear "1" on the ohm meter, and when the button is pressed down, I get a clean "0". The switch clicks when the washer's lid is opened and closed, and the mechanical tab on the lid which presses the switch open and closed appears to be properly engaging the switch. I do not know how to test other relays and see no fuse.

BELT & PULLEYS. A physical inspection of the belt and pulleys under the washer did not show any excessive wear, no shearing, and no shiny exterior. The belt is loose as I suspect it is suppose to be for tightening by the motor, and the motor freely slides on its platform, which I assume is the way it is designed to operate so as to tighten and loosen the belt as needed.

The pulleys turn freely. The drum does not turn when the pulleys are turned. I assume a clutch engages on the commencement of the motor's operation so the drum will turn when appropriate.

CURRENT THOUGHTS:

Given that the lid switch appears to be operating correctly, that a timer did not solve the issue, and that the motor goes completely silent during the spin phase regardless of the setting, I am wondering 1) if the motor has a different contact for spin and if that has gone bad; 2) if a worn thrust bearing would prevent the motor from making even a sound and thus a possibility; 3) if the transmission would prevent the motor from sounding and thus a possibility; or, 4) if another alternative that I am missing might be possible.

Any advice would be most appreciated, particularly as to direction as to what steps to do to test and pin point the problem and maybe if the particular component and expertise required is such that buying a new machine is recommended.

Thank you!
Mark
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.