Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
whovous  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:28:44 AM(UTC)
whovous

Groups: Registered

I am pretty sure I have isolated the problem to the lid switch. The washer fills, but when it gets to the agitation cycle, it stops. It will not drain, and it will not operate any cycle that requires the lid to be closed.

However, if I use a screwdriver to press down the switch, it works just fine for as long as I hold the switch down.

Am I correct in inferring that this means I have continuity in the lid switch? It would not work at all without continuity, right?

If I am right so far, then my choices are to try to adjust the switch, or else to replace the switch, correct?

So far so good, but now I have no idea how to get the cover off, nor what to do once I do so.

Please advise where I need to go from here. This washer is in a pretty cramped location and I am not confident in my ability to move it, if that is what needs to happen next.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:01:11 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

You are correct in that the lid switch is the problem and it needs to be replaced, as there is no way to adjust it. Ultimately your short term fix will fail.

I cannot link you to the service manual for this model but if you will do an Internet search for a service manual for a Whirlpool stacked washer/dryer you should be able to find one that you can download for free or for a nominal fee.
whovous  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:23:48 PM(UTC)
whovous

Thanks! Can anyone give me the equivalent Whirlpool model number? I can find at least two different current stacked Whirlpools, and I am worried that the age of my machine may mean I need to locate the manual for the third.

Frankly, the one thing I am really worried about is how to get the "cover" or top panel off of the washer segment. I am pretty sure I know the right Kenmore part, and once I get inside, removing and reconnecting is not likely to be all that difficult. At the moment, at least, I am not sure how to get into the box.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:44:09 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Here is the part

Part number: AP2947199
Part number: AP2947199

and when you go to that page you should see a lot of info on replacing it including how to replace it on a stacked Whirlpool unit.
whovous  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:32:50 PM(UTC)
whovous

I am guessing this is the instruction I need:

Disconnect the power to the unit. Remove the two screws in the upper corners of the lid panel securing the lid panel to the body. Remove the panel. Next unplug the lid switch and remove the two brass colored clips securing the cabinet to the back wall using a flat blade screwdriver to pry them out. Pull on the front of the cabinet and slide the cabinet off the frame of the washer. You can now access and replace the lid switch. Reinstall in reverse order.

Looks like all I need to do is find the two screws and I'm golden. Thanks, I will order the part now.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 17, 2014 1:50:36 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Good luck let us know how it works out
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply