Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
drfeno  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:26:26 PM(UTC)
drfeno

Groups: Registered

The other day I put a load of clothes in the washer, and went upstairs. When I came back down, there was a lot of smoke, and a burning smell, and the washer was only humming. I took it apart and found the capacitor was melted. I was hoping that this may be the issue by itself, so I got a new capacitor, and installed it. it does the exact same thing (hums only). I did check the lid switch, and it passes the resistance test. Could it be the motor?

Thanks

Dave
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2014 5:21:47 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Model number???
drfeno  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2014 5:32:06 AM(UTC)
drfeno

I don't have it with me, I'll have to get it when I get home tonight. I figured maybe the description of the issue might be able to point in the general direction of the problem. I did look at prices for motors, and they are crazy high.

Thanks
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2014 5:36:37 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

What model year is it and is it a top loader?

Eric
drfeno  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2014 7:17:28 AM(UTC)
drfeno

I'm not sure of when I bought it, but I believe its probably 10 or so years old. It is a top loader. There are only 3 controls on it. The main knob on the right that controls the cycle(gentle, cotton, etc.). One for the size of the load, from small to super, and one that selects the temperature of the water.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2014 1:39:11 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Take the front panel off and try rotating the motor pulley by hand. One direction is for agitation, the opposite for spin. If it's locked up, take the belt off and try again. Try running motor without belt. Still need model number when you get it.

Eric
drfeno  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 14, 2014 4:35:45 AM(UTC)
drfeno

Last night, I went down with the intention of getting the motor model and the model of the washer itself. The motor for this washer is available on ******** for under $50 (used). Anyway, I tried moving the other controls (water temp and load size) the load size knob has a "reset" on it if you turn it beyond the "super" setting. So I moved this knob, and the washer started to work as if nothing was ever wrong with it. I did a test run with no clothes in it, then I did a medium size load of clothes, and it worked fine. So I guess I'm OK for now, but I still wonder what made the capacitor melt. Perhaps the load I washed was too large? Not sure.

Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply