Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Beth DeRoos  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:55:44 PM(UTC)
Beth DeRoos

Groups: Registered

Love the Kenmore washer we bought around 2006-07 and may be buying a new one if I cannot fix the one we have. Want a simple no bells and whistles washing machine but do not know which brand we should be looking at. Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:40:09 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The washer you have is a 2002 model. It is a Whirlpool direct drive design which is no longer made for residential use. As per your other post, if the water doesn't shut off even if you unplug the washer, then you need to replace the inlet valve assembly.

Whirlpool 285805 Water Inlet Valve - AppliancePartsPros.com

As for a new washer, the only thing that fits your requirements are the Speed Queen models. I would suggest the AWN412. These are expensive, around $800, but well worth it. Alternatively, I would go to an appliance store that sells refurbished washers and get another Whirlpool direct drive model. There may even be some "new" ones around. They stopped making them around 2010-2011. You would not like the current replacement to the direct drive design. These are electronic control machines and are a real piece of junk in my professional opinion.

Eric
Beth DeRoos  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:33:41 AM(UTC)
Beth DeRoos

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
The washer you have is a 2002 model. It is a Whirlpool direct drive design which is no longer made for residential use.

Eric

Ok now I am curious how long do models sell after being made. We bought ours NEW from Sears in 2006-07 yet you note it was a 2002 model? If we buy a new washer how will we know it's a new model and not one from years ago?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 11:42:30 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The numbers in your model number indicate that the model was introduced in 2001 and your particular machine was manufactured in 2002. If you provide the serial number, I can give exact date of manufacture. I have no idea how long a store holds on to their stock.

Eric
thorning  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:49:24 PM(UTC)
thorning

If you want a really good bare bones but reliable washer get a new Speed Queen. We had a really nice Maytag top load Neptune that was great at saving water . After 8 years and one day it stopped working. The repairs were going to be about $450 not including the labor. I bought the Speed Queen basic model for about $750 and expect it to last 20 years or more like the old design Maytag units. The new HE models cost too much to fix and the reliability is not good enough for me
Beth DeRoos  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:27:40 PM(UTC)
Beth DeRoos

Thank you for the information. Have even been looking at an old fashioned wringer washer.
thorning  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:39:20 PM(UTC)
thorning

The old wringer washers were dangerous if a person was not careful. Plus it was always a mess with the wash tub that was needed. I doubt if a new one can still be purchased.
Beth DeRoos  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 7:46:14 PM(UTC)
Beth DeRoos

Actually Lehmans.com who sell to the Amish as well as our local appliance stores still sell them, because a lot of people here in the Sierras live in remote areas and use propane generators for the wringer washing machines which when you live on a well, saves on water.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply