Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mvanslam  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:35:41 PM(UTC)
mvanslam

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have a Kenmore Washer Series 80 model #110.23832100. I just dropped the Transmission/Motor Assembly to change the plastic coupler which had broken. I had watched several tutorial videos prior to attempting the repair. In each of these videos they showed the removal of only one wiring harness to the motor before you could pull the motor from the Washer. The problem I have encountered is that upon reassembly I suddenly have a single white wire which appears to be separate from the harness. I think it's a neutral wire which is obviously critical to powering the motor. Trouble is....I can't see where it goes!!!??? I don't believe that it is a wire that popped out of the harness. I counted wires in the harness and terminals in the block and they match at 9. So I think this wire came off without me even seeing it. Hopefully someone can clue me in. Because I'm stumped. I'm normally pretty decent at doping this stuff out, but this one has me scratching my head. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. The Timer seems to not be working at all now and it did prior to my working on the unit.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:42:44 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It connects to the motor thermal overload switch.

Eric

UserPostedImage
mvanslam  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:20:04 PM(UTC)
mvanslam

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
It connects to the motor thermal overload switch.

Eric

UserPostedImage

Thanks, Eric! That's great. Glad someone knows where it goes. LOL

Couple of questions if I may:

1.) I see the terminal for the Thermal Overload Switch is on the motor housing itself. Do you know if this is something I can see and get to (on my model Washer) without tearing it completely apart again? I looked and wasn't sure what/where I was looking for.

2.) With this wire disconnected, I'm guessing it renders the Timer inoperable? In essence the wire being unplugged makes the Timer Control "see" that there's an overload condition existing? Is this correct? And by reconnecting it to the Overload Switch the Timer will again begin to function?

3.) The pic shows what looks like 2 of these. It's likely that I only have one?

Sorry for all the questions. I like to educate myself before I dig back in though. Very much appreciated!!!
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:32:50 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mvanslam Go to Quoted Post
I see the terminal for the Thermal Overload Switch is on the motor housing itself. Do you know if this is something I can see and get to (on my model Washer) without tearing it completely apart again? I looked and wasn't sure what/where I was looking for.

Best for you to remove the cabinet again. I could do it by tilting the machine back but I know what I'm looking/feeling for.

Quote:
With this wire disconnected, I'm guessing it renders the Timer inoperable? In essence the wire being unplugged makes the Timer Control "see" that there's an overload condition existing? Is this correct? And by reconnecting it to the Overload Switch the Timer will again begin to function?
With this wire disconnected, there is no neutral to the motor or to the timer. The timer is not a "smart" device (no electronics in it). It doesn't "see" anything, it's just a bunch of switches operated by a motor driven cam drum.

Quote:
The pic shows what looks like 2 of these. It's likely that I only have one?
Not sure what you mean. The overload switch has the white neutral wire going in and then the other wire going out goes into the motor, connects to the run windings and also comes back out via the white/black wire to the timer.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply