Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tathom  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 22, 2014 10:40:52 AM(UTC)
tathom

Groups: Registered

More likely to work when cooled down. Disconnecting power sometimes helps.

Currently I get a hum when drain/spin should start. Occasionally get a momentary start, then nothing.

The hum stops when I raise the lid so I believe the lid switch is ok.

I have replaced the timer and the motor start capacitor. Running out of ideas. What do you think?

Tom
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:59:06 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I think you have a bad motor. If that is the problem, the reason it will work sometimes after it has cooled is that the motor overload protection engages when it tries to run, and then releases when the motor cools off.
tathom  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:10:18 AM(UTC)
tathom

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
I think you have a bad motor. If that is the problem, the reason it will work sometimes after it has cooled is that the motor overload protection engages when it tries to run, and then releases when the motor cools off.

Thanks, sidfink43. Does this motor have brushes that are wearing out? The motor seems to be rapidly failing, and works dependably only on the agitate cycle. Once running in any cycle it completes that cycle.

I presume it takes much more torque to start drain/spin than it does to maintain speed.

The only other possibility I could come up with was that perhaps the brake was sticking going into drain and/or spin. But I don't know if it would heat and therefore benefit from cooling.

I'm afraid I'm looking at replacing my 14 year old warrior.

Tom
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:24:25 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well you should certainly check the brakes to see if they are sticking but doesn't sound like it from your description.

Given the age of the machine replacing it with a basic top loader, no frills and no electronics is probably your best decision. If you bought the other parts from this site you can return them.
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:46:34 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Does the washer drain ok? You may just have a slipping clutch if the motor is working fine in agitation mode. These motor's are very robust, do not have brushes and rarely fail except for motor switch problems but the switch is replaceable. Run the machine with cabinet removed and lid switch bypassed so you can observe operation of the clutch. In spin mode, if clutch hub is spinning then the motor and transmission are fine. If clutch hub is spinning, look just above into the bottom of the brake hub to see if basket drive is rotating. Basket drive has the large spring on it. If it's not rotating but clutch hub is, then the clutch band is most likely slipping and all you would need is a new clutch.

Eric

UserPostedImage
tathom  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 10:24:19 AM(UTC)
tathom

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Does the washer drain ok? You may just have a slipping clutch if the motor is working fine in agitation mode. These motor's are very robust, do not have brushes and rarely fail except for motor switch problems but the switch is replaceable. Run the machine with cabinet removed and lid switch bypassed so you can observe operation of the clutch. In spin mode, if clutch hub is spinning then the motor and transmission are fine. If clutch hub is spinning, look just above into the bottom of the brake hub to see if basket drive is rotating. Basket drive has the large spring on it. If it's not rotating but clutch hub is, then the clutch band is most likely slipping and all you would need is a new clutch.

Eric

UserPostedImage

Thanks, fairbank56.

When it spins, it spins like new. No evidence of slipping during drain or spin.

How do I troubleshoot the motor switch?
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:47:37 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Originally Posted by: tathom Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, fairbank56.

When it spins, it spins like new. No evidence of slipping during drain or spin.

How do I troubleshoot the motor switch?

Not sure what you mean by that? In spin, if the clutch hub is spinning, then the motor, including motor switch, and transmission are fine.

Eric
tathom  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:12:52 PM(UTC)
tathom

Once the spin starts, it works perfectly in the spin cycle.

That's what has me confused. Why won't the motor start the drain/spin?

Can the brake get stuck intermittently?

Tom
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 2:26:05 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

This is like pulling teeth. For one thing, in a normal wash cycle, after agitation stops, the washer should drain without spinning for a full two minutes. Then the motor should stop and then start again at which point it should start spinning while continuing to drain. When the washer should be spinning, what is the clutch hub doing?

Eric
tathom  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 7:44:28 PM(UTC)
tathom

Eric, you can skip the recap, and scroll to the conclusion.

Let me recap from the beginning.

A few days ago the washer began to miss the drain / spin cycles intermittently. One time it work fine. The next time it wouldn't. The agitate cycle always works, both slow and fast.

I replaced the timer. No change. Then I noticed that when the spin cycle failed to start, I could hear a hum. No other sounds, just a faint hum. When I lifted the lid, the hum would stop. This indicated that the lid switch is working. The hum sounds like a motor trying to start. Once in a while I would see a very brief surge when it should have begun to spin.

Because the only problem seemed to be getting the drum to start spinning, I changed out the start capacitor, hoping that the motor only needed an extra starting boost. No luck.

When we tried to wash a load of clothes, sometimes it would make it through successfully. Other times it would open the drain but not spin. In this case I would let the motor cool, disconnect/reconnect power, then attempt to start where it left off. After a few attempts, it would work. But then the rinse cycle might run ok, or not. Same drill to get it to complete. Each day it got worse, so we finally gave up trying to wash a load.

Currently I have the cover on; I had if off only to replace the capacitor, so I haven't been watching the coupler or the clutch. But because it had recently run full speed in the drain and spin cycles, and agitate always works, I don't think there should be any issue with the coupler.

Conclusion
Update this AM. Per your question, when the tub should be spinning, absolutely nothing is moving. The hum remains, apparently from the motor.

I then checked the brake and determined that it wasn't allowing me to turn the basket. Per this link I applied silicone to the brake, and it freed up the basket to allow a free spin (previously it wouldn't). http://www.davesrepair.com/DIYhelp/DIYddbrakelube.htm

But.. no cigar. I ran the second rinse from the beginning. Agitation is ok, but the drain spin won't kick in... just a hum. No movement anywhere. With water now in the basket, I can barely turn it.

Then I replaced the new timer with the original (I'll return the new one). And what a surprise, the washer is working! I'm checking all the cycles, but so far it's looking good!

As they say, go figure!

Thanks for your questions and attention. I appreciated the guidance and having a sounding board.

Tom
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply