Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
c1scodilla  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 9, 2014 10:43:58 PM(UTC)
c1scodilla

Groups: Registered

Can any of the experts norrow down the cause of the loud noise during the spin cycle. I suspect the bearrings are going out but I want to be sure before I purchase a bearing kit and tear the dishwasher then later find out it was something else.

Also watch the drum wobble...Is this also normal or a symptom of the bearings.

Ive posted a link to the Youtube video I made. Skip to 2:20 to see the start of the spin cycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ZY26IL4SE

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

brobriffin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:53:13 AM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I saw your video and it sounds like a bearing to me as well. Something else may be going on also the spindle arms (also called spider arms) that hold the inner drum to the drive shaft might be corroded and or broken. I would recommend disassembling to verify before ordering parts. Unfortunately if the spindle arms are broken you will have to purchase the entire basket assembly AP4459040. Hopefully its only the bearings. see pg: 05-Tub and Basket Parts parts for Whirlpool WFW9400SZ02 - AppliancePartsPros.com
c1scodilla  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 3:41:58 PM(UTC)
c1scodilla

I tried moving the SS basket and it is able to touch the outer basket which makes me believe there is something wrong with the Spider Arms like you stated.

I was excited to read posts that these washers come with a lifetime warranty on the SS basket and outer basket. Unfortunately after calling Whirlpool they stated that the basket does not have a lifetime warranty.

Can anyone confirm that my duet is on of the short few without the warranty lifetime warranty on the SS Basket and TUB.

Model Duet: WFW9400SZ02
Purchased at: Costco
Date Purchased: 6/14/2009
brobriffin  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 6:47:18 PM(UTC)
brobriffin

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have also heard that they had a ten year warrenty. However that information is not confirmed. Check your warrenty paperwork to verify. You can tell the age of your unit by the serial # . Look at the second letter which is the year. S is 2005 T is 2006 etc. The first letter tells you the location of manufacture C is Clyde Ohio.
denman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:56:55 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I looked up the warranty at the Whirlpool site and it says there is only a one year warranty.

The service site said that some appliances purchased at Costco include a two year warranty but that is still not long enough for you.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
c1scodilla  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 8:11:20 AM(UTC)
c1scodilla

I downloaded the manual and found the same thing. I ordered the Bearing Kit, seal and belt with the hopes than when I open it up that is all it will need. Ill keep you posted as to the end result.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
c1scodilla  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 2:27:53 PM(UTC)
c1scodilla

Well I tore into the wasing machine and found that the Spider was in decent enough condition. I hammered out the old bearings and replaced them with a brand spanking new set.

Put the machine back to gether and she now purrs like a kitten.

I hope to get a couple more years use out of her now.

Thanks everyone
c1scodilla  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:15:35 PM(UTC)
c1scodilla

I am back again. So 4 days since the bearing replacement and I noticed a strong smell of burnt rubber. I assume what is happening is that the grease applied near the spindle was dissipating the friction but after 10-15 washes the grease is wearing out and the rubber seal is starting to burn due to the contact. I noticed the smell is starting to lessen after every wash now.

I am hoping the rubber will eventually wear and the smell will soon be completely be gone.

I would really hate to break this thing down again.

Has anyone had this experience and am i Correct to assume this. Or should I get into the mindset to have to tear the machine down again.

FP
denman  
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:40:31 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I have not seen this problem but I would open it up and try to confirm what is the cause.

I do not think it will be the seal but if it is it will not last long.

I would think the most likely culprit of the smell would be the drive belt.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply