Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PeterB.  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 6:57:51 AM(UTC)
PeterB.

Groups: Registered

-

Hello everyone. New from the WindyCity referred by the Jeep Forum.

Here's the skinny;

Maytag Model LAT9700aaw serial A4137411

While filling machine it stopped. Won't agitate, spin or anything? Doesn't sound like timer is operating. Checked power at outlet all good. Checked and cleaned lid switch, I can hear it clicked appears good. Plugged unplugged, nada.

Set both my elbows on top of lid while I thought for a moment, she started up in spin cycle and drained out? Took dirty unwashed clothes out and tried to start fill empty. Nothing again?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PeterB.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

PeterB.  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 3:18:29 PM(UTC)
PeterB.

-

Maytag Washer Model LAT9700AAW...

I understand there is a lid switch fuse that may have blown? I googled it and something about removing the console top from behind and bypassing the fure? It wasn't very clear to me?

I;m hoping for post responses from you experienced repair folks on what if any trouble shooting suggestions you may have.

Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated.

PeterB
fairbank56  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 3:44:59 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Don't bypass the fuse. If you do and the lid switch has failed, your going to burn up some wires. If the lid switch fails in the closed position (stuck closed), the check switch will blow the fuse which is in the fill circuit, therefore the washer won't fill and is rendered inoperable until you replace the switch, assuming the lid switch is in fact the problem.

http://www.appliancepartspros.c...-22001682-ap4026359.html

Eric
PeterB.  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2014 4:35:09 PM(UTC)
PeterB.

-

Eric I would like to sincerely thank you for your post response and video link.

I did pick up a switch earlier at an appliance parts store here in Chicago.

Not being a pro I just hope that's the problem. They said I could return it as long as its in the box. Would it by OK to somehow test the fuse 1st? Or should I just check to see if its blown?

If thats not the problem than I have no idea what it could be. I described the symptoms and exactly what happened in my OP.

Again thank you very much. Between child support payments, health insurance costs and not being currently gainfully employed its really tough making ends meet. I really appreciate your professionalism and kind gesture in helping me. Props out to you Brotha!

Sincerely,

PeterB.

-
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 3:27:52 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

You should be able to tell if the fuse is blown just by looking at it as it is a glass type fuse. If it blew because the lid switch is bad, then it will just blow again if you only replace the fuse. If the fuse is good, then the problem is elsewhere because the fill circuit does not go through the lid switch. The lid switch assembly is designed to blow the fuse in the event that the lid switch gets stuck in the closed position due to welding of the contacts. There are two switches in the assembly. If the lid switch sticks closed, the check switch will place a short circuit in the fill circuit causing the fuse to blow so that the washer cannot be filled again. This of course, prevents you from using the washer. It's all just a safety thing to prevent use of the washer until the switch is fixed. I can't say for sure if the problem is the lid switch without testing with multimeter on the wiring terminals with power applied or simply jumping the switch out. It's likely that is the problem but it could be something else such as a faulty connection or even the timer.

Eric
PeterB.  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 21, 2014 6:40:52 AM(UTC)
PeterB.

-

Good morning FF56, funny I surface around 4/5 AM these days like auto clockwork... Not sure why its just in my system. I seem to operate on 6hrs rest although I do take cat naps in the afternoons normally around world news time.

Thank you for another tremendously educational post response. I hope that lid switch is the culprit. I plan to get to it this weekend. From the video it should take to long, I just hope that's it and nothing more. On the Google search I did it also suggested cleaning out the vent hoses? That they may also be an issue? Not sure what that's about but I'll change the lid switch assembly and hope for the best. As we speak machine is still on the blink.

I picked up my Nicholas PeterB (9) from summer camp yesterday, he stays with me this weekend. So I was tied up with more important things, shooting hoops playing around the world/horse/pig, LOl playing catch and giving him all my attention and love. My son my son, my greatest blessing in my life. His mom well, that's another story. At 35 she doesn't need Google she knows it all. Ha!

Eric someone mentioned at one time they were built in Newton Iowa. I understand Whirlpool bought them out, closed the plant and now the Maytag man wears a sombrero somewhere in Mexico? Or are they totally out of biz? Que sera sera. Seems the way of the USA over the last couple decades...

Enjoy your weekend.

PeterB

-
PeterB.  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 9:08:31 PM(UTC)
PeterB.

-

I unplugged the machine and opened up the console and looked at the lid switch. The fuse did not appear to be blown although I could not see the wire running through it like most other fuses. Prior to opening the box with the new switch I purchased (Guy said I could return it, as long as the box wasn't opened) I wanted to be sure this was the problem. Si I removed the fuse and cut a small wire just to test jump it to see if in fact the lid switch had failed. I plugged in the machine and as I tried to return the consoled to its original position I accidentally touched the timer area to the metal and caused an arc?

Chit I had no clue that would happen. I tried to start the machine with the wire in place where the fuse would be but nothing? Either the lid switch is not the problem or I accidentally pucked up something else?

I left the console opened, the fuse out. Not sure what to do next?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please help. Thank you.

PeterB

-
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 5:48:21 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Is there still power at wall receptacle? May have tripped the panel breaker? I advised against jumping the fuse, you should never jump out a fuse!

Eric
PeterB.  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 5:57:46 AM(UTC)
PeterB.

-

Hello Eric, my apologies for not following your instructions to the tee.

I understood not to do but thought that you meant to permanently leave it in the jump position. Not just a quick test. I thought to myself the fuse doesn't blown, what if it's something else. I'll check it first. Sorry, should have tested it with the meter instead, but I don't have one.

You're right. The breaker was tripped. I didn't think to check that either.

-
PeterB.  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2014 2:06:18 PM(UTC)
PeterB.

-

Got it! Replaced the Lid Assembly Switch and that was the culprit.

Thank you Eric. Very grateful for everything and I'm sorry I did not listen as closely as I should have. I appreciate your professionalism and everything you do for regular guys guy like myself. Thank you again.

You're the BEST!

Very truly yours,

PeterB.

-
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply