Discuss

Whirlpool Series 2000 Agitates, but doesn't spin when draining

in

Washer Repair

. "

I have an old Whirlpool Series 2000 Large Capacity top loading washing machine. My girlfriend was doing laundry yesterday, and

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Whirlpool Series 2000 Agitates, but doesn't spin when draining

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 AM

opmal7 is on a distinguished road
Default Whirlpool Series 2000 Agitates, but doesn't spin when draining
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have an old Whirlpool Series 2000 Large Capacity top loading washing machine. My girlfriend was doing laundry yesterday, and she said went downstairs and found the washer had moved about a foot out of place, and she smelled burnt rubber.

When I got home I ran it through a wash cycle. The washer fills up and agitates just fine. When it drains, it is supposed to drain and spin at the same time. The water will drain, but the basket doesn't spin. It makes a humming noise like the motor is running, but the basket is not spinning.

However, I noticed that if I open the lid and close it again the basket will start spinning. The first time the basket and agitator were spinning at different speeds. I opened and closed the lid again, and they both started spinning at the same speed.

I ran a few more wash cycles and the pattern repeated every time. Fills/agitates ok. Drains, but doesn't spin. If i open and close the lid a few times, the spin starts working.

I took the metal front/sides off the washer, dusted out some cobwebs and inspected everything. Everything appears to look ok, but I didn't take the basket off and look at anything in the motor or gears.

Has anyone seen a similar issue in the past or have any idea what could be wrong?

Edit: The model number is LA5550XPW7

Last edited by opmal7 : 05-29-2014 at 01:10 PM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

fairbank56 is a jewel in the rough

Need washer model number.

Eric
Old 05-29-2014, 06:41 AM

I believe it is LA3300XP
Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

There are different versions of that model, XPW0 thru XPW4. XPW0 does not have a neutral drain transmission, the rest do, so need to know full model number. Models with neutral drain should drain for 2 minutes without spinning, then motor should pause and restart which causes transmission to shift out of neutral at which point it should start spinning while continuing to drain.

Eric
Old 05-29-2014, 06:53 AM

I'll have to check on the washer when I get home. I assume there will be a name plate somewhere that should say the full model number?
Old 05-29-2014, 06:56 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

Yes, there should be a nameplate with model and serial number.

Eric
Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM

The model number is LA5550XPW7
Old 05-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

Ok, that model has a neutral drain transmission which means the washer should drain for 2 minutes without spinning after the agitation cycle. After the 2 minute drain, the motor should pause and then start again. If there is no pause of the motor, then the timer is bad. If there is a pause but washer still won't spin, problem could be clutch or worn drive block. Operate machine in spin mode with cabinet removed (lid switch bypassed). Observe clutch hub. If hub is spinning but tub is not, look above clutch hub into brake housing. If brakes and brake spring are not spinning, then the clutch is slipping or the brake cam driver is not working. If brakes and brake spring are spinning then the tub drive block is probably worn out.

Eric

Old 05-29-2014, 01:48 PM

How do I bypass the lid switch? If I remove the cabinet, I can't plug in the switch (the wires aren't long enough).
Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

Make a jumper wire to jump the two wires together (disregard the ground wire). See this video, second switch is similar to yours.

Lid switch bypassing Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Eric
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.