Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hameatsam  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 19, 2014 4:16:04 PM(UTC)
hameatsam

Groups: Registered

Hi, recently the agitate & spin cycle in my Whirlpool washer quit working. It still agitates a little bit but not much, and the spin cycle quit working entirely. I discovered that the coupler was broken and replaced it, however, the problem still remains. The clutch grabs just fine so that can be ruled out too. I've tried running the motor/transmission with the assembly removed from the machine and the spindle turns a little bit on spin cycle, but it requires very little effort to stop it by hand. Can I go ahead and assume that the transmission is the problem? I want to be sure before I spend the money for a replacement unit.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:45:47 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The agitator shaft (spindle as you call it) is not driven directly by the transmission when in spin mode and it is normal for you to be able to easily stop it from spinning. What about the clutch? In spin mode, it should be rotating and you should not be able to stop it. Is it the upper agitator that is the problem or lower part (assuming it's a dual action agitator, don't know without having model number of washer).

Eric
hameatsam  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:58:27 PM(UTC)
hameatsam

The model is Whirlpool Gold GSQ9631LLO. The clutch assembly rotates independent of the agitator shaft but the clutch has plenty of friction. I couldn't find any issues with the upper agitator or the brake. Should the clutch assembly be able to spin independently of the agitator shaft?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:38:30 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Yes, it should. In agitate direction, the agitator shaft should go back and forth. The spin gear is not engaged during agitation so the clutch housing should not move other than from incidental friction between the agitator shaft and the oil seal inside the spin pinion gear. In spin direction, the agitate gear inside the transmission is disengaged from the agitator shaft, the spin gear is driven so the clutch housing should be spinning. Again, incidental friction between the spin pinion gear seal and agitator shaft may cause movement of the agitator shaft but you should be able to stop it easily by holding the shaft.

Eric
gkgkgkgk  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:11:10 AM(UTC)
gkgkgkgk

I just listened to join friends and add insight from this forum
hameatsam  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 25, 2014 3:34:43 PM(UTC)
hameatsam

I noticed that when I have it on spin cycle the clutch assembly rotates, but can also be easily stopped by hand. Would that be a sign of a worn transmission?
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 26, 2014 7:06:49 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

No, you should not be able to stop the clutch hub from spinning by hand. Looks like faulty transmission.

Eric
hameatsam  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:22:43 AM(UTC)
hameatsam

I replaced the transmission with a rebuilt unit and the washer works like new again. Thanks to all who replied.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply