Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
we5hikers  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:01:38 AM(UTC)
we5hikers

Groups: Registered

I have a GE Profile washer, topload, working fine but when the basket spins there is a small leak where the transmission meets the basket. Also the transmission area is extremely loud when it spins. It works fine but I'm concerned about it wearing out and breaking and thought I should replace now. Is the loud noise common for old transmissions? Could it be something other than the transmission itself? I orginially thought it was the belt loosening up but it seems to be pretty tight. I thought the little shimmy from a loose belt was causing the loud whirling noise.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 9:17:22 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The most likely scenario is that leaking water has found its way into your transmission and that it is in the process of failing.

While this is repairable, given the cost of the parts and the age of your machine you are much better off replacing it with a good but basic top loader.
fairbank56  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 4:46:49 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Water cannot get into the transmission unless the oil fill seal has blown out which is very unlikely. Water leaking at the tub seal will however get into the lower transmission bearing (not physically inside the transmission) and cause it to start seizing up and making loud noise during spin only. This bearing (around $10) can be replaced but is a bit of work. You would also have to replace the tub seal. If your willing to take the machine just about completely apart and dissasemble the bottom part of the transmission, I can give more details on replacing the bearing. Otherwise, just replace the transmission or get a new washer as suggested.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply