Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
astro46  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:16:34 AM(UTC)
astro46

Groups: Registered

recently started being off balance during spin cycle. Re-arranging clothes doesn't help. Washer hasn't moved from this location (on a platform) in years.

Suggestions on what specifically to look at when I open it up?
Parts break down would be helpful?
I presume that it opens from the back. correct?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:39:15 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Does not open from back. Open control panel and then remove entire cabinet (back stays in place). Check that the 3 horizontal suspension springs are in place and the 1 vertical counterweight spring in the rear. Many times, the lower frame will rust and the lower connection of the counterweight spring will pop loose. Check that the suspension plate is in correct position. Also need to check the 6 damper pads. 3 are on top of the base assembly that the suspension plate sits on and 3 are on top of the suspension plate that the tub support sits on.

Eric

Cabinet removal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVF0h1MQdBE

Suspension parts:

UserPostedImage
astro46  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:16:12 PM(UTC)
astro46

Thank you fairbank56. I will try this on friday.
astro46  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2014 8:26:09 PM(UTC)
astro46

btw, if " lower frame will rust and the lower connection of the counterweight spring will pop loose." should turn out to be the problem, does this mean washer is junk, or do I try to establish a new connection by screwing the end of spring to frame?
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:46:44 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Just drill a new hole next to the one that rotted out if that is the case. If frame is really bad and drilling new hole is not going to work, then you would have to scab a length of new metal to the frame to give you something to drill through and support the spring.

Eric
astro46  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 28, 2014 12:18:31 PM(UTC)
astro46

the video for washer dissassembly helped alot. this one is even older than the video, control panel mounting screws are on front of panel. otherwise the same.

turned out one of the clips holding cabinet to back was missing, found on floor under washer. and sides of washer were not clipped into bottom. one front corner tab was bent, the other front tab was gone. whole cabinet was loose.

I didn't see any spring missing or loose. moved the suspension plate a few times. seemed to move ok. taking the whole thing apart to get to the pads was too daunting, especially since I had no indication that it would help.

put the cabinet back on as well as I could (talking of replacing because of age, time necessary to dissassemble and get to the pads, so didn't want to spend too long dealing with the cabinet). both sides were a bit splayed out so needed to try squeezing them in while re-installing. One side now seems attached the other still loose. both clips holding cabinet to control are in.

tried the spin cycle. no balance issue! so far. we'll see what happens over time.
thanks for the help with into the machine.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply