Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
washedout  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 24, 2014 5:40:47 AM(UTC)
washedout

Groups: Registered

My whirlpool top-loader is having an issue and I'm having some trouble diagnosing. The washer will start and fill, water, and agitate, but once it hits a spin cycle it works inconsistently. Typically it will stop spinning and will be full of water and clothes and will not progress through the cycle. At first I thought it was because it wouldn't pump water out so I replaced the direct drive pump. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem (also the new pump I installed has a clicking/rattling sound that the old one didn't - not an improvement). Once the lid switch is suppressed, I hear a whinning that sounds like it is from the motor/transmission area like it is trying to start the spin cycle and then it eventually clicks off (I assume as a failsafe). Occasionally, suppressing the lid switch WILL kick the washer into gear and it will spin/drain, but this is very inconsistent. I checked the direct drive coupling and it seems to be fine since no prongs are broken and the rubber joiner is in tact. I know the lid switch assembly, which is a common problem, is working because I can hear it trying to start the spin cycle when it is suppressed. I am thinking that it is an issue with the transmission since it sounds like the motor is trying to spin the basket and it works only intermittently. My other thought is that it might be the timer but this seems less likely since the hum/buzz/whinning sound that I hear seems to come from the motor transmission area and not the control panel up top. Any thoughts before I order a new transmission would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.