Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SEPAZ  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 12:24:57 PM(UTC)
SEPAZ

Groups: Registered

After each agitate cycle, my Whirlpool Gold should spin while it drains and fills with fresh water. It sounds like it is spinning but doesn't. So the dirty water never fully rinses out.

However, if I lift the lid at the start of the cycle I'll hear a loud "clunk" and when I lower it back down it spins as it should. So my wife or I have to wait around while doing laundry so we can go lift the lid.

I first replaced the clutch, then the transmission, and now the basket drive and brake assembly. Washer runs great, but none of this has fixed the problem. During the repairs I looked for other worn parts (coupler, drive block, etc.) and everything looks fine.

Thoughts?

Scott
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 1:39:01 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It is supposed to initially drain without spinning. It will drain without spin for a full 2 minutes regardless of how long it actually takes to drain the water. After the 2 minute drain the motor should pause for a few seconds and then start again at which point it will start spinning and continue to drain. If there is no pause after drain, the timer is bad. You are pausing the motor by lifting the lid. The pausing of the motor causes the gearcase to shift out of neutral.

Eric
SEPAZ  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 2:17:42 PM(UTC)
SEPAZ

Thanks Eric, but I believe this washer does have a combined drain/spin. It will occasionally engage on it's own without us having to lift the lid.

Here's a similar question posted on the main site about a Kenmore:

Hello. My Kenmore washer (110.23812100) occasionally does not spin. This happens maybe 1 out of 4 loads. Seems to happen mostly during the rinse phase. When this happens, I can hear the motor running. If I open the lid and close it, the tub will then

Any other ideas?

Scott
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 3:02:27 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Originally Posted by: SEPAZ Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Eric, but I believe this washer does have a combined drain/spin.

This is a Whirlpool direct drive design washer. All of these built since around 1985 have a neutral drain gearcase. They are supposed to initially drain without spinning. They must agitate for at least a few seconds which is what sets the neutral drain mechanism. Then directly after agitation, they will drain without spinning. If they happen to drain and spin simultaneiously, then the neutral drain mechanism is failing. This is common on older models. Also, if the washer is located in a very cold location, the cold oil in the gearcase can cause the neutral drain function to not work. If the washer fails to go into spin after the motor pause, after the 2 minute drain, then either the neutral drain failed to release or the clutch failed to engage and is slipping. The way to determine which is happening, is to run the washer with the cabinet off, lid switch bypassed, and observe the clutch hub. After motor pause, if clutch hub does not spin, the neutral drain is failing. If clutch hub does spin but basket does not, then the clutch is slipping or there is something else wrong with the basket drive such as sticking brakes or a bad drive block.

Eric
SEPAZ  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 4:21:28 PM(UTC)
SEPAZ

Okay, maybe this is a dumb question, but why then would the drive be turning while it's draining? I can hear the motor and transmission as if the tub is spinning (but it isn't). Is this because the motor is driving the pump?

Btw, it does go into a spin cycle after draining. But if it doesn't spin while it's draining then all the clothes settle to the bottom of the tub and the spin cycle is not as effective.

Scott
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 20, 2014 4:42:34 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Yes, the drive motor drives the pump and the gearcase. In fact, the pump is running any time the motor is running including during agitation. During agitation, the motor drives the pump in a direction such that it does not force the water out the drain hose. When washer is in drain or spin the motor is running in the opposite direction and is such that the pump is forcing the water out through the drain hose.

Eric
SEPAZ  
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:18:37 AM(UTC)
SEPAZ

Well, I sent a message to Whirlpool about this:

[COLOR="blue"]Question: for a direct drive Whirlpool Gold washer, is the tub supposed to spin while water drains?Thanks,Scott[/COLOR]

Here's their reply:

[COLOR="blue"]The tub should spin as the water drains in direct drive washers. Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.[/COLOR]

So, with that settled, any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Scott
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:20:00 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

You got an incomplete answer either because that person doesn't know what their talking about or you didn't give them the whole story. Every Whirlpool direct drive washer built since about 1985 has a neutral drain gearcase. That means it initially drains without spinning. The first direct drive models that came out in 1981 were called direct to spin. They did not have the neutral drain function.

When the washer goes into spin, it is still draining, so yes, it drains and spins at the same time but not during the first 2 minutes after agitation stops. That is the neutral drain period where it only drains, but does not spin. Here is a quote from Whirlpools direct drive training manual.

A system change was phased into production on all
direct drive washers which will let the washer pump
out the water before the basket spins. This system is
referred to as “Neutral-Drain.”
Some previous direct drive washers pumped out the
water while the basket was spinning. This system
was called Direct-Into-Spin.
A new gearcase, timer and water level switch are
required with the Neutral-Drain system. This new
gearcase has the part number and the word Neutral
stamped on the cover.
NOTE: Gearcases cannot be interchanged between