Discuss

NO SPIN Maytag

in

Washer Repair

. "

20 yr old workhorse agitates thru wash cycle, but does not spin thru spin cycle. The pump and motor work

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » NO SPIN Maytag

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM

LesterS is on a distinguished road
Default NO SPIN Maytag
Model Number: LAT9593AAW   Brand: Maytag   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

20 yr old workhorse agitates thru wash cycle, but does not spin thru spin cycle. The pump and motor work fine and drain machine, but drum does not spin. The transmission pulley and drive belt spin during agitate/wash cycle, but not during spin/drain cycle, and you can smell the belt slipping/burning around the spinning motor pulley. Thought I had worn belt(s) and replaced them (were original). Do I have a "mechanical" (clutch/transmission) problem or "electrical" (switch or relay) not engaging the transmission/clutch to spin the drum? How do I diagnose further? Thanks.

Related Models
Maytag LAT9593AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9593ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9593ABW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9600AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9600AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9600ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9600ABW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9604AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9604AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9604AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9604ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9605AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9605AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9606AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9606AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9606ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9606ABM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9606AGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9606BGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9606GGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9614AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9614AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9614AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9615AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9615AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9616AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9616AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9634AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9634AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9634AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9634ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9635AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9635AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9700AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9700AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9700ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9700ABW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9700DAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9700DAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9704AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9704AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9704AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9704ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9704ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9704ABM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9704AGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9704BGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9704DAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9704DAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9704GGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9706AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9706AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9706AAQ WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9706ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9714AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9714AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9714AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9734AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9734AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9734AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9734ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9757AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9757AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9766AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9800AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9800AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9800ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9800ABW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9800AGL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9800AGW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9804AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9804AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9804AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9804ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9806AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9806AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9806ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9806AGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9806AKM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9806AKQ WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9806BGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9806DAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9806DAQ WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9806GGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9824AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9824AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9824AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9824ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9824ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9824ABM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9824AGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9824AKM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9824BGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9824DAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LAT9824GGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9900AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9900AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9900ABL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9900ABW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9904AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9904AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9904AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Maytag LAT9904ABE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA100AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA100AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA100AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA100AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA100AGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA100AJE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA100AKE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA100ARE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA200AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA200AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA200AAM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA200AAW WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA200AGE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA200AJE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA200AJM WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA300AAE WASHER-TOP LOADING
Admiral LATA300AAL WASHER-TOP LOADING
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 01-19-2014, 06:00 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

fairbank56 has a spectacular aura about

Tilt the machine back and rotate the main drive pulley clockwise by hand. The pulley should climb up the shaft, the brake should release and transmission and basket should rotate. If it works ok, you have a problem with the motor mount. If it won't rotate by hand, could be the thrust bearing above the pulley, the radial bearing above the brake package or the tub bearing has seized.

Eric
Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
Tilt the machine back and rotate the main drive pulley clockwise by hand. The pulley should climb up the shaft, the brake should release and transmission and basket should rotate. If it works ok, you have a problem with the motor mount. If it won't rotate by hand, could be the thrust bearing above the pulley, the radial bearing above the brake package or the tub bearing has seized.

Eric
Thanks for the reply Eric....the machine was already tilted and main drive belt removed. The main drive pulley under transmission does spin by hand clockwise about 1-1/4 revolutions, climbs up shaft and then binds as it tries to spin the tub (the same pulley spins freely counterclockwise by hand and properly engages/spins the agitator). Does this mean the bearings on either side of the brake/clutch are ok, brake is releasing and the tub bearing is seized/binding? Or is it possible that the brake is not releasing? After one clockwise revolution of the pulley, and after it climbed up, I can feel a bit of a "thump" before it spins a bit more then binds trying to turn the tub.....at that point I apply some muscle and can see the tub trying to move (with a helper, no my arms are not that long!) Might that thump be the brake release?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

I would open the top panel and take off the tub cover to check and make sure there's no clothing caught between the tubs. If you don't see anything, then you need to remove the brake package and then see if you can rotate the transmission or basket by hand. We use a special tool to remove the brake package, part number 038315, but it's expensive unless you can find a used one. A hammer and drift pin might work but these things are usually difficult to break loose. You must first remove the pulley and the brake package retaining clip. Rotate brake package CCW to remove.

Eric
Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I would open the top panel and take off the tub cover to check and make sure there's no clothing caught between the tubs. If you don't see anything, then you need to remove the brake package and then see if you can rotate the transmission or basket by hand. We use a special tool to remove the brake package, part number 038315, but it's expensive unless you can find a used one. A hammer and drift pin might work but these things are usually difficult to break loose. You must first remove the pulley and the brake package retaining clip. Rotate brake package CCW to remove.

Eric
Thanks again Eric.....am I removing the brake pkg to eliminate that as a possible problem? In other words, if after removing it, I can spin the basket, does that mean the brake is stuck/locked? If that is the case, how hard will it be to remove it?
Old 01-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

I don't think it's the brake rotor that is the problem but it could be the radial bearing that is on top of the brake package. Removing the brake package eliminates these two as the problem if you still can't rotate the basket without them. The brake package will likely be difficult to get loose. If there's no clothing between the tubs, I think the most likely problem is the tub bearing.

Eric
Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's the brake rotor that is the problem but it could be the radial bearing that is on top of the brake package. Removing the brake package eliminates these two as the problem if you still can't rotate the basket without them. The brake package will likely be difficult to get loose. If there's no clothing between the tubs, I think the most likely problem is the tub bearing.

Eric
Ok, thanks.....I have no experience with these and did not know how that brake was designed/worked. I do not think a piece of clothing got in there, but can check. I also tend to think it is the tub bearing, but might get lucky if it is bearing above the brake (if I can get the brake out). I have taken the pulley off and have a better idea now how that works and believe that the brake is engaging/disengaging the shaft/tub as it should. Puzzled about how that agitator works though.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Eric
Ok Eric....it did not look/sound like a good idea to try to remove the brake assy w/o the right tool, so I considered buying one, but in the mean-time it wasn't too hard to remove the basket and mounting stem assy to get the drum out and get at the tub bearing (soaked the threads with WD-40 then used heavy hammer/strong screwdriver to loosen the top nut). It is siezed (the center portion/bearing should spin freely within the rubber housing/mount right?). Also, the sleeve/liner came up with the bearing and is stuck in the bearing, but that's ok, the new bearing comes with one and I don't have to try to peel/pry it off the shaft.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

No, the bearing does not spin within the rubber housing. It's the sleeve that spins within the bearing. You need to take the outer tub out of the washer so that you can thoroughly clean the transmission shaft that the new sleeve fits over.

Eric
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
No, the bearing does not spin within the rubber housing. It's the sleeve that spins within the bearing. You need to take the outer tub out of the washer so that you can thoroughly clean the transmission shaft that the new sleeve fits over.

Eric
So a new bearing has no moving/spinning parts...it is not a roller bearing? I already had the drum out and the bearing removed, that is how I knew that the sleeve/liner was stuck in the bearing. I will clean up the shaft w/fine emery, but it is pretty clean, as is the mating inner surface of the sleeve/liner. If I put the bearing w/sleeve on the shaft, it spins freely, as did the tub when I removed the 3 tub mounting bolts. The sleeve however is seized inside the bearing. So a "seized bearing" in this case is really not so much a seized bearing as a sleeve seized in the bearing? I was able to slowly work it free by repeatedly spraying it w/WD-40 and tapping it back & forth. I'm not understanding why this issue caused the machine not to work...what's the difference if the sleeve can spin around the shaft (shaft spins in the sleeve) vs. the sleeve spinning in the bearing (shaft together w/sleeve spins in bearing)? Either way, the shaft is free to spin. I am either missing something or wondering now if it may be the brake or radial bearing?
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.