Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ianandevan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:48:51 AM(UTC)
Ianandevan

Groups: Registered

My Maytag, Neptune stack able washer is not fully spinning out. The pump seems to be working slowly but there is still a puddle of water and the clothes are very wet barely wrung out. I have cleaned the pump and can't seem to figure out what else to do any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

NeptuneHelp  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:13:52 PM(UTC)
NeptuneHelp

Hi,

Have you noticed if your door locked light comes on when it is in the spin cycle? If not, then your door latch wax motor has probably choked. See Neptune Help Song for a video that explains the faulty door latch issue.

Every Maytag Neptune front loader with a timer knob has a wax motor and all of them with the brownish color actuator pins will short out eventually.

Tell all of your relatives and friends that have neptunes with the timer knob about this failure waiting too happen.
Ianandevan  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:28:57 PM(UTC)
Ianandevan

Yes , I checked and light is coming on and staying on . Also checked circuit board and it looks good.I read that the water level sensor might be the problem, if so how would I check that? Or what else could it possibly be?
NeptuneHelp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:49:33 PM(UTC)
NeptuneHelp

If the door locked light is coming on and no spin that could be a few things.

The first is the microswitch on the right side of the door latch assembly. Maybe the wax motor is not pushing the latch all the way to the right. It has to fully depress the microswitch for it to spin.

Keep in mind that you can watch the wax motor expand with the door latch exposed and see if it fully depresses the micro switch.

Caution must be exercised since you will have exposed voltage and mechanicals...

You have to push and hold the door closed button, set timer to spin position, press start and the wax motor should fully expand in about 45 seconds. The tub should be tumbling back and forth every few seconds while the control board is waiting to get the door locked signal. After about 1.5 minutes after microswitch is depressed the tub should finally start the ramp up. It seems like forever when you are waiting...

If it still won't spin and you believe it is the microswitch, you can swap the two micro switches and try it again. The first microswitch located above the wax motor only lights the door locked light.

If you see the wax motor scoot to the left at all, the lock mechanism will not reach the microswitch. I would try removing the spring clip on the left side of wax motor, expand it slightly and carefully reinstall it and retry.

If your machine ramps up, then stops, tumbles then restarts the ramp up again, thus repeating this pattern throughout the spin cycle then you have an open balance circuit. There usually are 3 inertia switches located in your neptune and there is an open circuit in the wiring loop. A wire could have worked its way loose which is the usual cause... another cause is some machines have a switch at the bottom of the outer tub that can be pushed if you have a heavy load of towels and it is out of balance. Some have had success by fidling with the switch to reset it.

I hope this helps.
negusm  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2010 5:42:27 PM(UTC)
negusm

NeptuneHelp, if I ever see you I owe you a cold beer and a big wet kiss.

My Neptune, MAH5500AWW, would not spin up reliably. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. From what people said about the wax solenoid, I discounted it since my door lock light came on and my door would lock.

I thought it would be a motor or control board or a drainage issue. Since it was mildewed badly I tore it COMPLETELY apart to test and clean everything. I tested the motor, control board, the two water pump motors, checked the belt, checked for the R11 resister problem. I found nothing. I pulled the tub, all the hoses and power washed and bleached the lot. Got a new return hose too. Reassembled and NO CHANGE.

Your description of the microswitches caused me to go back and test them. Apparently, the wax solenoid can have an intermittent failure state. It can work well enough to lock the door but not activate the micro switch. I threw a thin piece of cardboard in there temporarily and she's working perfectly. A new wax solenoid/motor is on its way.

In conclusion, having a door-lock light and a locked door is INCONCLUSIVE when troubleshooting a slow-spin situation. You MUST test to see if that micro switch is being activated.

Thanks again.

-Mike
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply