Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
p_40ace  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:58:46 PM(UTC)
p_40ace

Groups: Registered

Help! Our Kenmore front-loader makes a terrible racket during the spin cycle. It also produces some gray grit underneath the machine. It is under warranty, and the Sears guys said it was a broken spider. They came to replace it but when they opened up the machine, they found that the spider was fine. They replaced it anyway, as well as the drum. They said the bearings were tight. They ran it (empty) up to I don't know how many RPM, and it sounded fine. But, when I ran a load after they left, the same old problem was there. Now Sears says they can't send a guy out to look at it til Dec. 3. I first called them in the middle of October! Clearly they are no help, so I'm turning to anonymous people on the Internet.

I have included a link to a YouTube video of the washer below.
Noisy Kenmore Washer making dust? - YouTube

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:24:13 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

I can't tell from the picture, but is the tub moving excessively during the spin? The dust like stuff it is creating suggests that there is something on the outside of the tub hitting or scraping because for it to be from the inside, you would see water leakage. If you open the door and lift up on the inner tub, does it move up and down? If you feel the front panel, just under the door, does it feel like something is scraping it? Also, can you post the rest of the model number, please?
p_40ace  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:18:07 PM(UTC)
p_40ace

Originally Posted by: Appliance Ninja Go to Quoted Post
I can't tell from the picture, but is the tub moving excessively during the spin? The dust like stuff it is creating suggests that there is something on the outside of the tub hitting or scraping because for it to be from the inside, you would see water leakage. If you open the door and lift up on the inner tub, does it move up and down? If you feel the front panel, just under the door, does it feel like something is scraping it? Also, can you post the rest of the model number, please?

There is quite a bit of movement in the tub during the spin cycle. It moves maybe an inch back and forth and maybe a half inch up and down. When I open the door and push up on the tub, I get half inch or so of travel, and an inch or so back and forth. When I feel the front panel, I don't feel much scraping, but when I lie on the floor and listen I can hear some scraping. Also, the full model number from the manual is 796.4027.

Thanks!
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:37:19 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

The inner tub by itself should not have any movement up and down. If it does and they have replaced the spider, the inner tub is likely damaged and not holding tight to the spider. That would explain why it worked empty when the service guy was there but started making noise when you had a load in it. As for the scraping noise, there is a counter balance on the bottom of the tub in the front, number K135 in the picture at the link below. I wonder if this is what is scraping? Unfortunately, there is not much you will be able to do yourself. The parts are going to be expensive for the new tub and it is a big job putting it in. That is what I suspect is happening with your machine, though.

http://c.***************.../PLDM/F0907007-00002.png
p_40ace  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 5:36:04 AM(UTC)
p_40ace

The inner tub by itself should not have any movement up and down. If it does and they have replaced the spider, the inner tub is likely damaged and not holding tight to the spider. That would explain why it worked empty when the service guy was there but started making noise when you had a load in it. As for the scraping noise, there is a counter balance on the bottom of the tub in the front, number K135 in the picture at the link below. I wonder if this is what is scraping? Unfortunately, there is not much you will be able to do yourself. The parts are going to be expensive for the new tub and it is a big job putting it in. That is what I suspect is happening with your machine, though.

http://c.***************.../PLDM/F0907007-00002.png

Huh. Thanks for the help. The repair guy is coming back today, and I will compare his diagnosis to yours. Also, the link you posted doesn't seem to work...

Thanks!
Appliance Ninja  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 8:14:14 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Sorry for the broken link, the picture at that link is below. Let me know what they find.
Appliance Ninja attached the following image(s):
APP1.jpg
p_40ace  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 10:16:37 AM(UTC)
p_40ace

Sorry for the broken link, the picture at that link is below. Let me know what they find.

Unbelievable. Sears called and cancelled for today, and want to come back on Dec. 4th! Last time I go into that store.
Appliance Ninja  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 10:20:47 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Oh my, that is terrible! I would go to the store and talk directly with a manager. They can force a call in if you make it seem very necessary.....
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply