Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BKHOMES  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:47:05 AM(UTC)
BKHOMES

Groups: Registered

I have a problem with my washing machine. Over the past couple of months my wife says the machine is acting weird. The latest problem is as follows: When you try and run the machine, it immediately reverts to the drain cycle even before any water has been added. The door automatically locks (which it is supposed to do). The only thing I can do is turn the machine off. Restarting it (also unplugging it) does not change where the cycle is. My concern was that since there is no water in the machine draining and letting the pump run indefinitely could cause harm, the only work-around I could do was pour about 2-3 gallons of water into the detergent dispenser. Apparently that did the trick because I was able to turn the machine off and unlock the door. I have never received any error codes on the machine which makes troubleshooting for a novice even more difficult. Any suggestions? I looked at the price of the control board and based on my wife's overall bad experience owning this machine, I don't think it is worth fixing it if that is the issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:39:42 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

I would begin by having a look at the hose that leads to the pressure switch. If you remove the top panel of the machine, you will see the pressure switch mounted at the top of the machine. It will have a very small hose attached to it. Remove that hose and blow through it. Does air easily pass through that hose and does the machine behave differently after replacing that hose and trying a cycle?
BKHOMES  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:00:02 AM(UTC)
BKHOMES

Appliance Ninja, I took the top of the machine off and began looking for the small hose. I immediately noticed that the machine has several hoses on top. Most of them are for the dispensing of bleach, softener, detergent. However I did come across one black hose that was disconnected on one end. I looked around and found the nipple that it should have been connected to. The connection point is a white/opaque canister that looks to have a good deal of black on the inside. I am not sure if this is sediment from the waste water (like you would see in a p-trap under a sink) or if it is mold? I know the machine smells of mold and am not sure if replacing this part along with the cleaning the discharge line would be worth the time to help with the odors. I am unsure of the function of this part but it is in-line with the drain line. It appears that the water will go into this (from the machine just prior to being discharged into the house plumbing).
I realize the door seal is a culprit for the mold but lately the smell has gotten significantly worse. I reconnected and am currently putting it through a cycle. So far so good. Thanks for your quick and accurate diagnosis. You managed to save me some big coin on buying a replacement machine.
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 6:50:24 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

I am glad it is working again! I would recommend you run some cleaning tablets through the machine to get it cleaned out a bit. The product below is one that works well and is inexpensive. I would run all three tablets through a long, hot wash initially, then one tablet a month afterwards as maintenance. That will help with the mold and odors and also help to prevent "gunk" from building up causing issues in the future. There are three tablets in each package, so I would order 2 packages initially as you are going to use one complete package on the first intense cleaning.

Whirlpool W10135699 Affresh
BKHOMES  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:44:08 AM(UTC)
BKHOMES

I attempted to run the washer through a cycle and it started doing it again. This time I left the top cover off and watched it run through its cycle. The problem seems to be that when the machine drains (multiple times throughout the cycle) when it finishes draining the water the drain continues to run even though there is no more water in the machine. As a result the machine will not advance to the next cycle (fill, spin or stop). I would assume there is some type of water sensor in the machine (or float) that alerts the machine when there is no longer water in the machine? I am thinking I either have a faulty water sensor or possibly the main control Board? Any thoughts?
Appliance Ninja  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:28:11 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

The pressure switch is at the link below. If the hose attached to that part can be blown through, the switch is likely faulty.

Bosch 00491681 Analogue Pressure Se - AppliancePartsPros.com
BKHOMES  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:33:01 AM(UTC)
BKHOMES

I removed the switch and I can blow into it and once the air hits the switch I hear a click and I can no longer blow air into the switch. I am assuming that means the air switch is working properly?
Appliance Ninja  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:45:25 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Did you blow through the hose? That is what gets plugged.
BKHOMES  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:49:14 AM(UTC)
BKHOMES

Yes I did.
Appliance Ninja  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:53:57 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Okay, so as the water level rises or drops, the air pressure changes in that hose and is what makes the diaphragm in the pressure switch change to signal to the control that the tub is full or empty. It sounds to me that the pressure switch is not sensing the air pressure change when the water is drained to tell the control, allowing the tub to spin. I would replace that pressure switch.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply