Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
onthefarm  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 11:20:11 AM(UTC)
onthefarm

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I need a little help with some issues on our 4 year old GE washer Model WHRE5550K2WW (hydrowave). I am a little mechanically inclined so I have tried to establish what the multiple issues are and will attempt to repair them myself.
1) It makes a grinding/knocking noise as the agitator spins, I believe that possibly the tub bearing may have gone out. I have also noticed what appears to be "brownish' colored greasy stains on the underside of the agitator. It has been making this sound and getting worse for a little while.

2) On the control panel are 5 LED cycle indicators (L to R: fill, soak, wash, rinse spin). As the machine goes through all of it's cycles all of the LED's light up with the exception of the "soak" LED. Only on the "Rinse" cycle will the washing machine "Pause". When the washer is filling on the "Rinse" cycle it will fill the tub almost to the proper level (8" level of water in tub when washer stops) and then the washer will stop filling and the "Fill" & "Rinse" LED's will start blinking together. The washer will not continue on until the "Start/Pause" button is pressed ("Fill" & "Rinse" LED's go out once the "Start" button is pressed). The washer will then continue filling for another approx. 2 minutes (10" of water in tub when filling is completed on "super" size load). The washer then stops filling and goes into the agitation portion of the "Rinse" cycle. The washer will then continue on and complete washing w/o any other pauses/stops.

3) During the above mentioned description of the "Rinse" cycle the following leak occurs. When the washer stops filling and then the "Fill" & "Rinse" LED's start blinking there is no noticeable leak. As soon as the "Start"/Pause" button is pressed and the washer finishes filling then the washer leaks directly under the belt drive pulley. Approximately 1/4+ cup of water leaks out and then stops. In viewing the leak there is no water dripping/running down the outside of the "shaft" of the "Shaft & Mode Shifter Assembly". In viewing the "Shaft & Mode Shifter Assembly" where it connects to the "Belt Drive Pulley" I can see the water leaking out from inside the shaft and down onto the pulley. The wash load size was on "super" out of the selections: small, medium, large, and super. On "super" size wash load I measured the water level as seen on the outer tub at 10" when full.

Some of my many questions is can the "Shaft & Mode Shifter Assembly" leak from the top of the shaft under the agitator? Is there a seal that can be replaced on the shaft or is the whole assembly now bad?
I see that if I replace the tub bearing and tub seal that is fairly easy and inexpensive to do. The Shaft & Mode Shifter Assembly adds more cost also. I do not mind putting money into this machine to fix it but I need to keep aware of the tipping point of where it is cheaper to buy another machine.

*ADDED
Did another test today 11/12/13. Tested on "Medium" load capacity instead of "Super" size load capacity. On Medium capacity the tub fills to approx 8.5" of water instead of 10" on Super capacity. At approx 7" tub fill the leak started on both "Wash" & "Rinse" fill cycles. Both times leaked approx 1/4+ of water from inside shaft of the "Shift Mode Assembly" and onto the "Belt Drive Pulley".

At tub fill of 7" the water is about 1.5" from the top of the Agitator. Also this time the washer did not "Pause" when filling on the "Rinse" cycle as mentioned above.
I did not mention this before. The LED on top of the motor housing flashes a constant 2 flashes/ second while the washer is running. No other "codes" flash.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.