Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nomadicone  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:46:13 AM(UTC)
nomadicone

Groups: Registered

My Admiral AAV7000AWW Washing Machine, makes a loud squeaking sound during the agitating cycles. Noise is sycnchronized with the agitator motion. Spin and braking stop are normal. I have the machine apart and the transmission and brake assembly on the bench.

Lower bearing seems OK. [ no chuck or noise ]
My guess is there is a problem in the brake assembly ? but it completely disengages when pully is wound toward the spin cycle.
Brake cover warns of 200lb spring tension, so I have not opened.

This is my first washing machine project. Look forward to your advice on solving my squeaky problem, Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:58:49 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Noise problems are very difficult for us to diagnose on a Forum like this because we are not there to hear them and determine the location, which is the major way we start to solve something like that.

Do not go after the brake assembly without the special tool described here in the service manual.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16026502.pdf

Before doing anything though I would put it back together and see if cleaning up some of the parts has solved the problem, or if you can pinpoint the source of the noise. You certainly want to check out the agitator itself if you have not already done so.

Good luck.
nomadicone  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:39:39 AM(UTC)
nomadicone

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the reply. I decided to open the brake, before your advice arrived in my e-mail.... and found considerable wear on the stator in one small location.

I have tried to attach a pic to this message, to show wear. Wear is almost non-existant near the 9:00 position, and is considerable from 12:00 to 3:00 to 6:00, with the hot spot at 3:00.

I now realize that the tub should not be moving [ rotating ] during the agitation cycle. [ it was ][ and I now beleive that the squeak was the loose brake rotor rubbing on the stator.]

This machine gets very low/easy use. Maybe run 250 cycles since new.

There is no brake dust in the stator area. To my untrained eye the brake rotor looks like new. The snubber ring also shows no wear. I don't feel any wear in the lower bearing [spin] or the thrust beariing.

So.. any ideas about what caused problem of loose brake and uneven wear on stator ? I assume I need to replace stator and whatever else you suggest. Thanks in advance, Randy
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:23:30 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

The uneven wear is probably just from use, cannot think of what would make it do that.

Obviously replace the stator, but if the rest of it looks ok, you should be fine. Once the brakes are working correctly the tub should stop spinning in agitate mode.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply