Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nikindoug  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:47:47 PM(UTC)
nikindoug

Groups: Registered

Kenmore Series 90 Washer (110.28902790) Approx 16 years old.

Stopped with full load accompanied by mild electrical smell.

The unit would not: agitate; spin; drain on any cycle.
The unit would: add water to tub.
The unit does not leak.

Breaker checked. Unit unplugged, allowed to sit 5 min. Power reapplied. No motor hum. No change in status with lid open or closed - will not run on any cycle.

Allowed unit to sit for 10 more min unplugged (while writing this post); reapplied power. Unit restarted and finished wash/drain cycle. Unit refilled for rinse; however, unit is stopping and starting during rinse agitation. It has drained and is now spinning.

Never had any previous issues with unit. When running, unit runs smoothly - no clunking. When not running there is no free spinning motor noise/no hum, so I do not suspect coupler. Since initially I could not get it to agitate with lid up or down, I doubt it is lid switch.

No experience with washer repair, but what am I probably looking at here: faulty relays? overheating capacitor? dying electrical motor?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

DJ
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:15:00 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I think you probably have a bad wash cycle selector switch. I could advise on how to jump parts of this switch out to confirm but since you have no experience, best to just try replacing it. If you buy the part from APP, you can return it if it doesn't fix the problem.

Whirlpool 3406241 Switch-Cycle - AppliancePartsPros.com

Does it also do the agitation cycle start/stopping when set to heavy duty?

Eric
nikindoug  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 7:41:48 AM(UTC)
nikindoug

Groups: Registered

If it's not too much trouble, I would like to see the procedure.

I assume it is primarily checking continuity or resistance of the switch in certain positions to determine if all the circuits are functioning properly.

Thanks.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 7:59:01 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

I will check back in later, don't have the time right now (we are volunteer techs here). Your wiring diagram is behind the control panel. Just taking continuity/resistance checks are not always definitive because you are only using the low voltage/current of the multimeter. The contacts can read good with the multimeter but break down when under load of full motor current. Best to troubleshoot using voltage drop method or jump out the switch.

Eric
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2013 10:58:14 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Ok, you didn't answer my question as to whether it does the starting/stopping in agitation mode when set to heavy duty. Also, when set manually to spin, does it spin ok? Problem is just with agitation mode? Doesn't matter if set to heavy duty, regular or delicate?

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply