Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mapman1701  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:22:23 AM(UTC)
Mapman1701

Groups: Registered

So my Whirlpool Top loading LSR9434PQ0 makes a god awful banging sound when it spins. There are no other issues during the cycle. I replaced the clutch but that did not see to work. the basket runs during the spin cycle, it just makes this loud noise.

this is a video of the banging.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyqWLExUUYg

Any thoughts? I appreciate the help in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:33:39 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Is it doing this in normal/regular cycle or only in perm press or delicate cycle? If only in perm press or delicate, disregard the following.

Check the motor coupler. Video on parts page.

Whirlpool 285753A Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupling - AppliancePartsPros.com

Also check the drive block. To access, remove the agitator and the clip and washer from agitator shaft. Make sure slots in drive block are intact as well as the tabs on the spin tube. Make sure spanner nut is tight.

Eric

UserPostedImage
Mapman1701  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:44:24 AM(UTC)
Mapman1701

Groups: Registered

It does it in regular cycle as well.
I went through the trouble shooting items I found online.

The coupler looked fine. I did not see any indication that the rubber piece was damaged and no small black pieces. There were no cracks or missing pieces on the plastic teeth.

The drive block looked as depicted with good tabs and not worn out. the tub locks ad does not spin with hand pressure. it all seems to be in good condition.

I have a sinking suspicion that it is the gearcase but i don't want to believe it.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:40:58 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I think you may be right. The reason I asked about what cycle it was in is because it really sounds like the motor cutting on/off which can happen when low speed is being used and there is a problem with the motor centrifugal switch but in normal cycle, spin is in high speed and the switch is not used. It could be that the spin gear (plastic) in the gearcase is stripped out. It is easy to replace and I can tell you where to get one for $16 if that is the problem. You can try running it with gearcase out of the machine. Use a good pair of thick gloves and try holding the clutch hub while it's in spin mode and you should be able to tell if the spin gear is stripped. If it's not stripped, you would not be able to stop the hub or feel it slip.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply