Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jtvolk  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 5:36:23 PM(UTC)
jtvolk

Groups: Registered

I have a top load washer with the Kirkland name on it, but I'm pretty sure it's made by Whirlpool.

A few weeks ago it stopped at the "rinse" cycle, tub full and wouldn't go any farther - not even manually moving to a later part of the cycle, or in a different wash type. It wouldn't drain on any setting. I checked out many repair videos and started with the lid switch, which is good (tested with ohm meter). I took off the water pump and motor and the coupler is good and the pump was clear of debris and spun with a good amount of friction (I assumed this was just the seals). I ordered a used timer found on Amazon, installed it and it worked again for a couple of weeks (probably a half dozen loads). Is it likely that the second timer went bad in the same way without anything else being wrong? Is it likely that there's some other problem that's causing the timer to malfunction. Is it even the timer? The timer does make a very faint clicking/humming in some positions as if something is trying to happen.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 6:21:04 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I think it is either the lid switch or the timer. We never recommend buying repair parts from amazon or e bay. If you buy your parts from APP and they don't work, you can return them but I can't advise on part numbers without knowing your washer model number.

Eric
jtvolk  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2013 9:02:01 PM(UTC)
jtvolk

It's definitely not the lid switch. I'm happy to buy a timer from you as long as it's not likely that there's a secondary problem that's causing the timer to go bad.

Two other pieces of information. One is that the agitator works fine so it seems like the motor is good. I popped the old timer apart (it's not designed to come apart but I figured it wasn't working anyway) and one of the reed switches inside is very burnt from arcing. This makes it seem to me like it's pulling too much current, but is that normal?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2013 5:19:17 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, you never know what you are getting when buying used appliance parts so it could very well be that the timer was going to fail anyway. You would need to use an amprobe to check the motor current. Without knowing your model number, I don't know if your washer has a speed switch which is another possibility. Can you provide the model number and a photo of your wiring diagram? Should be behind the control panel.

Eric
jtvolk  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 12:16:27 PM(UTC)
jtvolk

Here are two photos. I'm not seeing the model number anywhere obvious.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2013 1:00:01 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Ok, no separate speed switch on this model, speed controlled by timer only. I think it's the timer but I would check the motor connector for burned/corroded terminals especially the white wire and the wires/connections at the motor thermal overload switch. This is a known problem area for faulty connections. I can't advise on timer part number without knowing the washer model number. Number may be under lid somewhere.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply