Discuss

Washer Not Spinning - Next Step

in

Washer Repair

. "

I have a Whirlpool top loader that stopped spinning (agitator still works fine). I replaced the motor coupler which was

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Washer Not Spinning - Next Step

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM

mushroom is on a distinguished road
Default Washer Not Spinning - Next Step
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: More than 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have a Whirlpool top loader that stopped spinning (agitator still works fine). I replaced the motor coupler which was broken and everything worked again for a couple of weeks, then it stopped spinning again. Checked the new motor coupler and it is intact.

I removed the inner tub to check the drive block - looks OK but I have a replacement to put on anyway.

I have found that when I put the washer into the spin cycle with the inner drum removed, I see the drive shaft turning. However, I am able to grab it with my fingers and very easily stop it from spinning.

Does this suggest I need a new clutch? Looking for some guidance on the next step here.

Thanks.

Last edited by mushroom : 10-10-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Added note that agitator works fine.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 AM

ppipowerclass is on a distinguished road

I would definitely check the clutch. It is very easy to check. If you have had the motor / transmission off, then the clutch is very easy to get to. You might want to make sure there is no oil coming from the transmission too to make sure that it's not fubar.

I am not a " professional ", but i would check those two things before anything, because they're pretty easy and free to check!

best of luck
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.