Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rmullar  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 2:39:52 PM(UTC)
rmullar

Groups ready for retrieval: Registered

I'm am in the process to start a tear down of the transmission in a maytag model A702. The unit is 40 years old and over time, the grease/ fluid has been leaking out from the bottom around the main drive pully and i'm thinking the age of the grease it's starting to get sticky like glue. Right now when the machine goes into the wash cycle, the agitator has a hard time starting and it will load up the motor to point that the internal breaker will trip. Once it gets moving it's fine, but you can hear that the motor has a heavier load on it than normal. The spin cycle is fine.To start the project, I have a couple of questions First, how do you remove the agitator ? Iv'e looked all around and cannot find any nut ,or set screw to loosen to remove it. Second, Is there a kit that is sold that will contain the proper size O-rings, main gasket and replacement bearings? Third, Once I have the transmission disassembled, parts cleaned,inspected,and reassembled, what would be the recommended lubricant for the transmission of this model?

Thanks,

Rudy
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TommyK  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 7:41:02 PM(UTC)
TommyK

Groups: Registered

At the top of your post next to "Model Number:" is the model number you entered, A702. It is a link to the parts available. While it is too old for them to post a parts manual, they do have them categorized.

Good luck getting the agitator off. I had one of those old Maytag, ringer washers, years ago and needed to remove the agitator. There was a decorative top or finial with a threaded bolt sticking out the bottom that screwed off. It looked like part of the agitator, but screwed off like a pickle jar lid. You may need a band wrench or good grip to gain enough purchase to get it to unscrew. I'm certain it had RH threads. For mine, that was the easy part.

The lower half of the agitator was a friction fit on a splined shaft coming out of the trans. Getting it to come loose was a bear, all due to corrosion and age. At that time was nearly as old as yours is now. But with some prying and praying I would not crack the agitator, it eventually popped off. There may have been a bit of taper, because if my memory serves me, and sometimes it don't, once it popped loose it just lifted right off.

There may have been some screw holes that a wheel puller would properly have worked in, but I was poor and didn't have a wheel puller at that time and I don't rightly remember if the Maytag agitator had those wheel puller holes. I'm still poor, but now have a wheel puller.

I can't help with the rest as I'm just an amateur repairman. I fix my own stuff and that's about it.
rmullar  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:36:24 PM(UTC)
rmullar

Groups ready for retrieval: Registered

Thanks for the reply TommyK. I was able to lift the agitator off the transmission spindle, and yes it did need a little prying to get it off. Once it broke loose, it came off without a hitch. The model is an A702 washer, not as old as ringer washer. I also have the matching dryer with the original user manuals for both.The next thing to figure out is what i should use, tool wise, without having to purchase one, is to remove the spanner nut so I can free the tub from the top part of the transmission. Once that is removed, I can focus on getting the transmission detached from the rest of its mount. But before I continue, I'm gonna have to do some research on where I can find the main gasket, replacement seals etc. so I have those items in hand for reassembly after I give it a good cleaning. I'll keep you posted

Originally Posted by: TommyK Go to Quoted Post
At the top of your post next to "Model Number:" is the model number you entered, A702. It is a link to the parts available. While it is too old for them to post a parts manual, they do have them categorized.

Good luck getting the agitator off. I had one of those old Maytag, ringer washers, years ago and needed to remove the agitator. There was a decorative top or finial with a threaded bolt sticking out the bottom that screwed off. It looked like part of the agitator, but screwed off like a pickle jar lid. You may need a band wrench or good grip to gain enough purchase to get it to unscrew. I'm certain it had RH threads. For mine, that was the easy part.

The lower half of the agitator was a friction fit on a splined shaft coming out of the trans. Getting it to come loose was a bear, all due to corrosion and age. At that time was nearly as old as yours is now. But with some prying and praying I would not crack the agitator, it eventually popped off. There may have been a bit of taper, because if my memory serves me, and sometimes it don't, once it popped loose it just lifted right off.

There may have been some screw holes that a wheel puller would properly have worked in, but I was poor and didn't have a wheel puller at that time and I don't rightly remember if the Maytag agitator had those wheel puller holes. I'm still poor, but now have a wheel puller.

I can't help with the rest as I'm just an amateur repairman. I fix my own stuff and that's about it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply