Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doug123  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:41:51 PM(UTC)
Doug123

Groups: Registered

A few days ago I would set the washer to run and find that it had stopped between cycles. Today it will not even start. I found the Troubleshooting guide inside the back panel and checked the step for "Washer Will Not Start". The test indicates that the Machine Control board is bad e.g I had 120v on wire # 13 to #27 and #13 to #28 (door shut and start pushed).

After I looked up the price ($125 and up) I wanted to make sure that this was indeed the problem. So I checked the drive system. With JP4 unplugged, the delay set to 6 hours, the motor did not start (lights for on and delay where on but the door lock light was off). I had 120V between #27 and #13 on the Motor Control board.

Would you think that this is a control board or motor control problem?

Thanks in advance!
Doug
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:35:48 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Well, as you may already know, you have one of the most troubled machine ever manufactured.

The first thing we are concerned with is whether or not you have ever replaced the main board and the wax motors that operate the door lock mechanism and in some models the dispenser mechanism. If not, this is a likely problem and you can look at the main control board to see if there is a blackened area on it. If so, you will need to replace the wax motors and the board.

Your question about whether or not the central control board is the problem is a good one and like most good questions there is not a good answer. Here are some tech bulletins from Maytag on your machine which should help you diagnose it.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...rary/docs/TDL-0018-B.pdf

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ary/docs/TDL-0052A-B.pdf

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ary/docs/TDL-0044B-B.pdf
ykchan  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2013 12:04:32 AM(UTC)
ykchan

Groups: Registered

This message was intended to address a post regarding Maytag Neptune does not start.

I have follow the one pager diagnostic guide taped behind the back-panel, inside. Asking to multi-meter test points as follows .. wire #27 <> #11 and wire #28 <> #11 for 120Vac when the Start button is depressed while door is closed. If test result is positive, register a 120Vac, then replace the main control board. Which could be a misprint, because I have test confirmed Q6 and R11 are not defective, all other related Qs and Rs (hot, cold solenoid drivers) have no burn marks. The only other board handles power is the motor-controller board down by the motor compartment. It can be accessed behind the front plate by the door, the U shape piece. Once in view, I saw evidence of serious explosion, optical-coupler, resistor, transistor, controller-chip were blown out of sight or shape and neighbor components are covered in black, as if it was hit by lightning, I take it there were a huge utility voltage surge went by.

A quick Google search realized controller board and its designated motor has been discontinued, and later Neptune models have migrated with Gen-2 and -3 motor each paired with unique controller board. I plan to give that a shot, I am not ready to give my Neptune up since it is a nice machine if you know how to care for it.

Hint: The motor power plant is voltage sensitive, add surge protection circuit ahead of your Neptune. Keep washer compartment dry by leaving door open by one inch or so to avoid main bearing from rusting prematurely. Replace R11 by 120Vac incandescent light bulb of about 3k ohm (leave Wattage a default 3k ohm) to protect the main board from the wax-motor should it short-out again in the future.

Good luck and take care.:)

YK
Nov-2013
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply