Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AndyWeg  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 23, 2013 10:43:26 PM(UTC)
AndyWeg

Groups: Registered

I have a washer that will not drain, and I'm have a difficult time determining the cause. The machine will fill and agitate. However, when the time reaches the point where the machine should drain and then spin I hear a buzzing/humming noise that lasts about 30 seconds. The noise will stop temporarily and return in about 30 seconds. This process repeats over and over until I start smelling a burning smell and the machine stops attempting to buzz. The buzz is definitely coming from the motor or the immediate area around it.

Things I have checked:
-Lid switch works fine (tested with DMM and it works in agitate cycle)
-There is nothing in the hoses or inside the drain pump
-The drain pump feels stiff to me when I rotate it with my finger, but I don't know how it should feel. But to give you an idea of how stiff: I can put my index finger in the bolt notch and turn it with some effort.
-The motor coupling looks to be very healthy.
-I measured the resistance between all of the leads on the motor and have those numbers available if that helps.
-The capacitor was still holding a charge after a week unplugged... scared me a bit. :)

My uneducated guess is that the drain pump portion of the motor has failed. Is it possible for that section to fail and not the agitate side as well? Just wanted some other opinions before I drop a chunk of money into a new motor (or a new washer if the wife gets her way!:)) Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:20:39 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
See if it will go into spin with the pump pulled away from the motor. If it still just hums, pull motor and set it on the floor and try in spin mode. Place your foot on the motor as it will jump a little if it starts. If it still fails to start, you probably have a bad timer. The timer uses a different set of contacts for the start winding in drain/spin/ vs agitate so that the polarity is reversed, causing the motor to change direction. Limit the motor just humming to as little time as you can, it's bad for the capacitor and motor windings.

Eric
AndyWeg  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:09:42 AM(UTC)
AndyWeg

Thank you for your response. I finally had some time to pull it all apart again. I have dismounted the motor as instructed and left it connected to the wiring harness only. I activated the drain/spin cycle and the humming continues as before. No motion.
You mention that I probably have a bad timer. Can we rule out the motor for sure? Is it possible for a motor to work one direction, but fail in the other (don't know my motors all that well)? I just want to be sure before I start buying the parts. I did test the resistance on the motor leads as found here. Everything looks correct implying that the motor has not failed. Is there any point to test the motor directly as entertainingly shown here?
I failed to mention before that this problem did occur a month or so ago. Then somehow it started working again. Don't know if that is relevant.
Thanks for your help!
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:23:20 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm pretty confident it's the timer. With motor on floor again, place in spin mode and when it starts humming, spin the little shaft that drives the water pump in a CW direction and it should start running. The timer reverses polarity of power to the start winding so that it runs in the opposite direction than agitate mode does.

Whirlpool 8557301 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
AndyWeg  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:49:28 AM(UTC)
AndyWeg

Thank you for the swift reply. I have done as instructed. Just as you suspected it would, the motor started to turn after I twisted it. I will order the timer from your link immediately. Thank you for your help!
-Andy
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply