Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Carrie23  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:04:23 PM(UTC)
Carrie23

Groups: Registered

I love my washer (really basic 10 year old top-loading Kenmore, 90 series). Half the time it works perfectly :) The other half the time it does not :mad:

When it works perfectly, all the clothes are all spun out to the tub's perimeter, with all the water extracted. On the days it does NOT work perfectly, it will spin, but when it's done, most of the clothes are still towards the center of the tub, and soaking wet.

When that happens, I will turn the timer dial to just the "SPIN" portion of the cycle, and then the clothes spin out nice and dry.

Um.... is this a "timer problem?" Or is this a "clutch problem?" I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about washers... but in my imagination, I'm thinking that if it was a clutch problem, then I wouldn't be able to simply set the timer to "SPIN" and have it spin out the clothes like I described above.

The confusing thing is that 5 out of 10 times, my machine works perfectly. The other 5 it does not.

What are your thoughts on this, please?

Thank you!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 13, 2013 5:08:58 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
When you say it will spin but clothes are still soaked, is it actually spinning, but slower than normal, or do you just hear the motor running but basket is not spinning at all? When this happens, open the lid for a few seconds and close again. Will it now start spinning normally? What is the full model number of the washer?

Eric
Carrie23  
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:02:19 PM(UTC)
Carrie23

Hi, sorry it's been a couple days (haven't had enough clothes for a full wash, until today). But I just did a wash, and it spun out fine. One thing that annoys me is that when the machine fails (as I mentioned before, about 50% of the time), I set the dial directly to "spin" to 'manually' spin out the water, but the first few seconds of the spin cycle, the machine sprays the clothes with even more water LOL. So I have to set it directly to "spin" plus a few milimeters on the dial :-)

I'll try to answer your question on my next load of laundry, maybe tomorrow. But, I am 100% certain the tub DOES spin.... I just don't know if it is not spinning long enough (timer f'd up), or, if it's spinning too slow (mechanical gearly-whoppies not grinding away like they're supposed to). I'll let you know.

And thank you for jumping in and helping! I look forward to the next wash, so I can provide you with feedback to help me figure out the issue.
Carrie23  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:30:07 PM(UTC)
Carrie23

Okay, finally some new info (past few days, it's worked perfectly). Today I noticed that at the end of the FIRST spin cycle, it ended with a loud "thud." When I opened the machine and looked, the clothes were still quite wet. After the machine started up again (for the 2nd rinse cycle), I waited for the final spin cycle, and it seemed to sound normal. When it was all done, the clothes were still wet. So, I manually turned the dial to a spot just a couple milimeters after the spin-cycle line and then it spun the clothes dry.

Is this not a TIMER issue? Isn't the timer sending the wrong signals to the motor? If it was a clutch-assembly issue, then manually setting the dial on "spin" would never work, right? If it was a clutch problem, it would never spin.

What do you guys think?
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:42:37 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Need the washer model number.
Carrie23  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:07:11 PM(UTC)
Carrie23

Kenmore 90 series model number 110.24922202
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:34:39 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

I don't think it's a timer problem. The timer automatically advances to the point that you are setting it to manually and it doesn't pick up speed. If the tub stops hard with a thud, the brakes are sticking and may be the overall cause of the slow spin at times. If the brakes don't completely disengage for spin, then the clutch can slip and other times the brakes do disengage completely and the clutch holds. Getting to the brakes requires removing the cabinet, agitator, tub, and pulling the gearcase.

Eric
Carrie23  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 7:21:35 PM(UTC)
Carrie23

Turns out, it was the ...... [drum roll] ..... the..... tim - no just kidding, NOT the timer. It was the CLUTCH! I so much wanted it NOT to be the clutch (grease and crap all over my floor LOL). But now that the clutch is replaced, MY GOODNESS the machine spins well! Better than ever. I almost don't have to put the clothes in the dryer LOL.

Thanks, all!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply