Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
manram  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 10:04:11 AM(UTC)
manram

Groups: Registered

When the machine is in the agitation mode it twists very little. Probably an inch each way. My house lights dim in rhythm to the agitation. (never happened before) It is obviously drawing too much current. I suspect the brakes are keeping the unit from agitating. It will spin, and do all the other things throughout the cycle. What's up with that? Any help is appreciated.
Theagitator coupling is good. I cannot turn it when the unit is off.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 10:40:20 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The brake has nothing to do with agitation other than to prevent the basket from moving while in agitation cycle. Remove the front panel and post a youtube video of motor operation during agitation.

Eric
manram  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 10:53:10 AM(UTC)
manram

Ok Eric,
It will take me awhile.
manram  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2013 8:08:11 PM(UTC)
manram

Eric,
Could you give me an idea of what you think may be keeping the agitator from moving full swing which,causing a large current drain. I have not done the video yet but am very good at troubleshooting with a little direction of what to look for concerning this type of symptom.
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:21:36 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Is this what your washer is doing?
GE Washer motor Problem 2 - YouTube

If not, pull the agitator to see if something is jammed under there. Place a strap under the agitator and yank upwards forcefully to pop it off. Rotate the motor pulley CCW (viewed from below). This should be easy and should cause the agitator to rock back and forth. If it's very stiff and/or doesn't move the agitator as it should, the transmission is bad.

Eric
manram  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:43:25 PM(UTC)
manram

Thanks for responding Eric,
I took the front cover off and can turn the belt CCW and the agitator moves CW and the tube moves.
What's next?
By the way- the video you sent , it looks like what mine is doing but I can't tell completely. It agitates but only very little twist.
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:15:53 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, I don't think you followed my directions. Rotating the pulley in one direction causes the transmission and basket to rotate (spin direction) and rotating the pulley in the other direction, the transmission should not turn but the agitator should rotate back and forth. As far as the video, you need to make sure that's exactly what yours is doing because if it is, the motor is faulty. Is it running slow and clicking as in the video?

Eric
manram  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:32:09 PM(UTC)
manram

Eric,
You're right as far as the video is concerned- on mine, one way the basket turns the other the agitator moves back and forth.
Update:
I found mine to do the same clanking as the video. I forced it into the spin mode and it starets out clankin pretty bad but after about three times of turning it on the clanking went away. I've tried it several more times and no more clanking.
What do you think is the cause of the clanking?
Also,when there is no clanking, it gets up to regular spin speed.

Update #2
I found when I start the spin cycle after the washer has set for a while, it will clank for about three or four tries.
After that, it will go into the spin cycle normal every time.
Could I have a bad start cap that needs to have a built up charge thus working after three or four tries like it is doing?
Eric, do you have a schematic for this model?
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 2:06:24 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

The motor switch is failing so it won't operate in low speed. The switch is not a normally serviceable item and the original motor is no longer available. There is a replacement motor and kit that comes with a new wire harness, capacitor and relay that must be installed. Comes with instructions and isn't that difficult but is expensive. As a temporary fix, you can wire it to operate in high speed only. Unplug washer. A few inches from motor connector cut the blue wire and white wire. Strip about 5/8" insulation from the two blue wires and the white wire coming from above (leave white wire from motor alone). Twist the three stripped wires together and put a wirenut on it. It will now work in high speed only.

GE WH49X10035 Motor and Clutch Kit, 2 Speed - AppliancePartsPros.com

Added: Your washer doesn't have a capacitor, wiring diagram should be inside the control panel

Eric
manram  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2013 2:13:58 PM(UTC)
manram

When you say not normally serviceable, do you mean you can't get to it? If so, I'm an electronic tech so I wouldn't mind trying to fix it.

Also, what is the down side of operating with high speed only?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply