Discuss

Amana Washing Machine - Drum Loose

in

Washer Repair

. "

My Amana Top Loading Washer makes a horrible banging noise during the spin cycle. The noise is horribly loud. The

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Amana Washing Machine - Drum Loose

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM

angieerickson is on a distinguished road
Default Amana Washing Machine - Drum Loose
Brand: Amana   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

My Amana Top Loading Washer makes a horrible banging noise during the spin cycle. The noise is horribly loud. The drum has been a little loose lately, but now it moves with almost no resistance. If I had to guess, I'd say it the drum slipped and needs to be re-attached. This is new territory for me. Can you help?

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

fairbank56 has a spectacular aura about

Model number???
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Default Not Sure of Model Number

I'm not sure the model number, so I looked under the lid. I'm sure MOD means Model, but its longer than I'd expect a model to be.

Type: 111-07
MOD: NTW4600VQ0
SER: CW352U728

I bought it the unit 5 years ago this September/October, from Sears.

So, the drum doesn't exactly move freely...it more leans about 6 inches in all directions. It looks lower down than it did before. Does that help?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

fairbank56 has a spectacular aura about

You need to remove the agitator and check the condition of the top of the drive block. Remove the fabric softener dispenser from the top of the agitator, reach down inside and remove the cap, use a 7/16" socket with extension to remove the agitator bolt. Pull the agitator, remove the clip and plastic washer from the agitator shaft. Make sure the tub nut is not loose. Make sure the slots in the drive block are intact and are engaged with the tabs on the spin tube. You may have to clean the area to see better. You should not be able easily rotate the basket by hand. If the drive block seems ok tilt the machine back and check to make sure the three gearcase mounting bolts haven't loosened. There is also the possibility of a broken suspension spring, suspension plate out of place or worn/broken damper pads on the suspension plate or base assembly. The lower mounting hole for the counterweight spring (#15) is prone to breaking through if rusted in that area. Best to remove the cabinet for these checks. Your washer is a Whirlpool direct drive design.

Cabinet removal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlAFQnkapLM

Eric

Last edited by fairbank56 : 08-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Thank you so much! The diagram really helps and I hope to get started on this tonight. Thank you!
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.