Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Noobzilla  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:03:46 PM(UTC)
Noobzilla

Groups: Registered

Hey, all. I've had my washing machine in pieces for the past three days while trying to trawl the threads here for answers. Hopefully one of you can help me out, and let me know if I just need a new washer.

Secondhand Admiral washing machine purchased on Craigslist six months ago. Washed great until a few weeks ago, when it started emitting this vague clattering when agitating, and an unearthly howl when spinning. The issue sounds similar to those cited here and here.

Then earlier this week, the howl reached a fever pitch and stopped, at which point smoke started pouring out from the back panel. I immediately unplugged it, and eventually bailed water out to dismantle.

Removed the drain pump and found no obstructions. Rotor spins freely in either direction, but not REAL freely. That is, it stops the instant I take my hand off it.

Removed the motor and it seems to spin freely. However, the plastic around the rotor is partially melted and corroded (from heat). I hooked it back up to the power supply while it was outside the washer, and it happily spun away for a full minute without any issues whatsoever.

The big agitator rotor (this thing) spins freely clockwise, without turning the tub. When I turn it counterclockwise, it rotates the entire tub, and snaps back 1/8 turn clockwise as soon as I release it (under tension of the spring, it feels like).

I worry that it may be the transmission, which seems to be a "get a new washer" problem. I'm way over my head with my limited tinkering skills, since there's nothing I can find that's grinding, catching, or broken.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:30:14 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Based on what you have presented, which is a good detailed description, I think your transmission is likely the problem, which may have caused motor failure also.

A new machine is in order. If you want to go the used route a good Whirlpool/Kenmore/Estate/Roper top loader with direct drive is a good bet. They last forever and are easy to repair.
Noobzilla  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 5:51:00 AM(UTC)
Noobzilla

Thanks, sidfink43! After checking out some other forums yesterday, I found this detailed post: Loud noise during spin cycle

A closer look at my water pump showed that my own "crimped piece of metal" was bent, too. When I spun the rotor by hand with a little pressure on it (like a fan belt would exert), it emits a noticeable scraping noise that sounds VERY familiar.

Just as a shot in the dark, I've ordered a new water pump, since $70 is way cheaper than a new washer. This may be pure wishful thinking, since the heat damage around the motor indicated SOMETHING going on there. I guess I'm hoping that the motor just overloaded itself fighting that water pump, and replacing the latter will resolve things.

I'll post an update next week, just for closure. And to avert a washer repair version of this: xkcd: Wisdom of the Ancients :)
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 7:19:20 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Good luck, hope that fixes it. I hope you ordered from this site because if the pump does not fix things you can return it.

Let us know how things turn out.
Noobzilla  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 9, 2013 6:41:19 AM(UTC)
Noobzilla

Update: Replacing the water pump (aka drain pump) did the trick. It's been about three weeks and a dozen loads, and it runs just fine. The new pump didn't have a base plate like the original, but still attached just fine.

I noticed when reassembling everything that the belt had a worn spot, almost like it had been ground down with a Dremel - about 3" long and 1/4" deep. I figure that at some point, the water pump froze up completely, and the motor just tried to power through - grinding into the belt, melting the plastic on the hub, and creating the smoke I saw.

There was a slightly noticeable "bump" during spin cycle, I replaced the belt, too, and it disappeared.

There's nothing like the clicking/screeching/howling I heard before.

Thanks for all the help! If anyone's having a problem like mine, and you notice any noise AT ALL with the water pump, I strongly suggest trying a new one (ordered here, per sidfink43's recommendation).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply