Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dorlando  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2013 6:06:17 PM(UTC)
dorlando

Groups: Registered

My washer will only spin when the load is very small. But if add more clothes once it is spinning it seems to do ok. It definitely won't start spinning by itself though with more than about 1/4 of a load. If the load is too big I don't think it agitates either. Any ideas? Clutch, coupler, drive block? THanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:15:52 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
No coupler or clutch on this type washer. Open the front panel and check to see if belt is slipping. Whats going on when it won't spin? Motor pulley rotating? What about belt and main drive pulley?

Eric
dorlando  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:47:14 AM(UTC)
dorlando

Thanks for the reply. I will take off the front panel and see what is going on. Are the main drive pulley and motor pulley two different parts? If the pulley isn't moving when it won't spin then what do you think that means?
dorlando  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:11:15 AM(UTC)
dorlando

Also, it doesn't always start spinning by itself. There can be nothing in the tub and when I press on the lid switch you hear a thump and it spins about 1 inch and stops. Sometimes if you manually start spinning it by hand it will eventually pick up and spin on it's own. Any help would be appreciated.
jlacevedo  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 8:29:19 AM(UTC)
jlacevedo

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
dorlando  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 10:09:53 AM(UTC)
dorlando

Hello? Does anyone have an update on what I should try? When it agitates I see the pulley belt moving, but when it tries to spin I hear a clunk, the tub moves just a little and then nothing. I think the motor is still running because I hear the humming. Since there is no clutch or coupler on this model how do I tell if it is the transmission or pulley or something else?
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 2:02:56 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

With washer off, observe the bottom of the transmission while you rotate the motor pulley CW (viewed from below). You should see the cam dogs rotate towards the brake hub dogs and a gap should open up between the cam and brake hub. This should release the brake and start rotating the transmission and basket. If you don't see relative motion between the cam and brake hub, the cam is not working. If you do see motion but the transmission and basket will not rotate, you may have clothing caught between the tubs.

Eric

UserPostedImage
dorlando  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 2:19:53 PM(UTC)
dorlando

that picture is exactly what I have. When I rotate the pulley, the cam dog does get closer to the hub dog and the hub dog rotates but looks like only because the cam dog comes in contact with it. After rotation the cam dog separates from the hum dog again. The clunk sound I hear when the cam and hub dog meet is the same sound I hear when the washer tries to spin. When it goes in spin cycle you hear a clunk, the basket moves just a bit and then nothing else. I think that clunk is the cam and hub dog hitting each other.

Does this tell you anything? Thank you
dorlando  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 2:31:39 PM(UTC)
dorlando

also, the tub and transmission spin when I rotate the pulley manually. I think what is happening is when the washer tries to spin the two dogs are hitting each other and then nothing happens, that is the clunk I hear. When I rotate by hand the cam dog is contacting the hub dog and therefore moving it due to the forced contact.

Does this mean the transmission is good?
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 3:21:02 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

I think you may have something binding the transmission or the basket. Normally, when you rotate the motor pulley by hand, the transmission and basket should start rotating without the cam dogs and brake hub dogs even meeting each other. It's usually not possible to make them meet when rotating by hand. It is normal for them to meet, and make the clunk sound, when driven by the motor. Here's the way it works. There are six tapered grooves in the top of the cam and the same in the bottom of the brake hub. There are six balls in these grooves. The balls are in the deep end of the grooves and the two hubs are against one another. The brake is holding the brake hub and in spin when the cam starts rotating, the balls roll to the shallow end of the grooves and push up on the brake hub releasing the brake. This causes the gap to open between the cam and brake hub and you can actually see part of the balls in there. If when you rotate the motor pulley by hand and the transmission doesn't start rotating until the dogs meet, something is binding up. Could be clothing between the tubs, the tub bearing seizing up or the lower transmission bearing is seizing up. If the tub has leaked at all, the water will go right into the lower bearing and cause it to rust and seize. At this point, I would take voltage measurements at the motor connector when spin mode starts to make sure you don't have a voltage drop problem. If that is ok, I would probably swap the capacitor to make sure that isn't the problem as it gives the motor it's starting torque as well as helping the motor along while it's running. If these are ok, it's time to take the washer apart.

Eric

UserPostedImage
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply