Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shock and awe  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 10:39:57 AM(UTC)
shock and awe

Groups: Registered

I have a GE super capacity washer that I bought used 4 years ago. Been a great washer no problems until this past weekend. It started making a knocking noise during the spin cycle. Like the load was off or too heavy. Then today it wouldn't spin at all and started to smoke. I opened up the front and checked the belt, looks like new. So I turned the washer back on and the pump came on but the motor bogged down and started to smoke. I took off the belt and turned the washer back on. The pump came on and the motor kicked on then off after 5-10 seconds the motor came on and then kicked back off. It did this 4 or 5 times then the motor kicked on and stayed on. I turned the pulley at the bottom of the tub and it turns freely. Why does the motor spin without the belt attached but not when it is attached.

Thanks for any help
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:12:15 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Is this the knocking noise your washer was making in spin mode? If so, you have a faulty motor.

Eric
shock and awe  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 3:35:15 PM(UTC)
shock and awe

Groups: Registered

Yeah, that was the noise it was making before. Is there a way to fix the motor or do I need a new one?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 4, 2013 4:05:04 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The problem is likely with the motor switch which is the brown plastic part that the wiring harness plugs into. These motors and their switches are not normally serviceable however I have repaired them. If your very handy, you could attempt this repair. There are no new replacement motors of this type. There is a new type of replacement clutchless motor for this washer which comes as a kit that includes a required relay, capacitor and new wiring harness. The problem with the washer is that it won't operate in low speed. The first part of the spin cycle is in low speed. The motor always starts in high speed even when low speed is selected but when the motor comes up to speed it is switched to the low speed winding by the centrifugal switch. Either the switch is bad or the low speed winding is open. The motor then shuts off, it slows down, reconnects the high speed winding and repeats this on/off over and over (thus the knocking sound). This can cause the motor to trip the thermal overload shutting it off completely til it cools off. As a temporary fix, you can wire it to only operate in high speed. A couple inches from the motor wiring harness connector, cut the blue wire and the white wire. Strip the two blue wires and only the white wire from the timer. Twist these three together and put a wire nut on it.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply