Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jacqui514  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:49:42 PM(UTC)
Jacqui514

Groups: Registered

I noticed that the top part of my agitator wasn't catching as well as it should have been. Before I had time to look into it, it stopped agitating at all and stopped spinning- it also made a noise like a quiet jackhammer. I replaced the agitator dogs and the coupler that is located in between the motor and transmission. The agitator is moving really well now, the tub spins and the noise is gone. However, the agitator is trying to move during the spin cycle. I also saw a way to test the clutch was to hold the side of the tub and initiate the spin cycle, I was able to stop the tub from spinning with little effort. I ordered a new clutch, but I'm not sure that will solve the problem of the agitator moving during spin cycle. I would like to have the parts to repair this all in one shot and am planning on taking it apart to check possible causes. Are there any parts I should look at specifically that would cause the agitator to move during the spin cycle? Or could it be a result of a faulty clutch?
Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2013 6:55:19 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It is normal for the agitator to spin with the basket during spin mode.

Eric
Jacqui514  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:27:50 AM(UTC)
Jacqui514

Thank you Eric, I wasnt sure if it was supposed to move.

It seems like the agitator base is missing a catch every few spins, it also makes a loud noise while spinning. Wash cycle works great. I took a video today, sorry I think it's sideways.

Washer spin cycle - YouTube
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:51:59 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

You have a faulty gearcase. Probably a worn agitate cam. The cam lifts the agitate gear off of the splines of the agitator shaft during spin mode. The sound is the gear partially engaging the splines and briefly stopping the shaft. The agitator shaft is not normally driven by the gearcase in spin mode, it is rotated by incidental friction between it and the spin pinion gear and spin tube bearings. The cam is available and replaceable if you want to tear the gearcase apart. Here is the parts document for your model including exploded view of gearcase.

Eric
Jacqui514  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:26:25 AM(UTC)
Jacqui514

Thank you again. I thought it was something with the gearcase. If I decide to open up the gearcase would you recommend replacing any other parts while I'm in there? Would hate to repeat it in a few months.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:15:30 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

I would recommend replacing the neutral drain assembly and the spin gear (plastic). If you buy the neutral drain kit, it will come with the spin gear which is the only place that I know of that includes it. The part number for the kit is AP3018165.

Eric
Jacqui514  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 4:03:53 PM(UTC)
Jacqui514

Well I replaced the agitate cam, the neutral drain and the clutch assembly. It spins great and the loud noise is gone. But no victory yet! It no longer agitates. Could I have put something on wrong or perhaps it had another faulty piece.
Before doing any repairs it was agitating it just wasn't doing it smoothly, the bottom half was hesitating or slipping. When off I couldn't manually move the agitator, I can manually move it now. Appreciate any help, thanks!
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 27, 2013 5:07:47 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

I can only figure that something wasn't put back together properly. You will have to take the gearcase back apart and examine things. Rotating the input shaft CCW will cause the shifter to rotate the cam CW allowing the spring on the agitator shaft to push the agitator gear downward, engaging the splines on the agitator shaft. If the washer is stopped in spin mode, you would normally be able to rotate the agitator by hand. If stopped in agitate mode, you would not be able to.

Eric
Jacqui514  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:50:26 PM(UTC)
Jacqui514

Thank you so very much for all of your help. The washer is all back together, it agitates and spins! (Without the horrible whine!)

I've learned 2 valuable things. Take pictures good pictures before taking anything apart and don't always believe a repair video on YouTube. I only found one video on repairing the agitate cam in the gearcase and unfortunately as detailed as the video was, the guy put the pieces on upside down. When I first put them back on I had it correct but I assumed he knew more so switched it. Lesson learned! Thank you again!
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:30:41 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

I wondered if that is what happened but I figured you would put the new cam on the same way the old one came off. Iv'e seen the video and have cautioned about it several times when it is brought up on these repair forums. The agitator shaft that he shows removing and replacing the cam is not the same one that came out of the gearcase in the earlier part of the video. In that part, the cam is on the shaft correctly. Anyway, glad you got it repaired at minimal cost and everything is working.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply