Discuss

Intermitent start and stop on Washer

in

Washer Repair

. "

Take a clear picture of it and post it here. Eric

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Washer Repair » Intermitent start and stop on Washer

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

fairbank56 has a spectacular aura about

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Take a clear picture of it and post it here.

Eric

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 AM

grolson is on a distinguished road

OK, Thanks, When I get home. I appreciate all the help!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM

Here are the diagrams and pic of the back of the switch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whirlpool switch.jpg (139.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Whirlpool dia B.jpg (192.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg whirlpool dia A.jpg (202.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Expert
APP Volunteer

Unplug all three connectors from the switch. You will need to make a jumper and jump the white/blue wire on the lower connector to the blue wire on the upper connector. Now try normal cycle spin mode.

Eric
Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 AM

Hi Eric,
So, I'm going to bypass the switch all together and just connect the jumper wire between the plugs, then run the machine and see if the thermal -protection trips, correct?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

Yes, just the one jumper wire which will allow it to work in spin mode only. Sounds like this may be way over your head. You could just parts swap either the switch or motor to try to figure this out. You could also make a test cable out of an old extension cord to test the motor directly but it's a bit involved and may not be a good idea for you to try. Sorry, difficult to explain to someone with little experience with this kind of stuff.

Eric
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM

Actually, its not too difficult. I just try to be clear.
I have a motor coming that is returnable so I want to make sure if its the switch before I install the motor. Actually, I was wondering if I could take a voltage reading on the output side of the switch to see if its feeding power from two circuits at the same time, say, the high speed and the low speed and thats what might be tripping the thermal overload, but this seems much simpler. So when this runs and if it doesn't trip the thermal, then it should be the switch?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 PM

OK, I ran the jumper and the spin cycle still kicked out. So I'm assuming its the motor? Am I missing anything?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Expert
APP Volunteer

The motor has not been completely isolated yet, a faulty timer can also cause selection of two motor windings at the same time. Unplug the motor connector, on the motor, unplug the white/violet and white/orange wires, move them aside making sure they are not touching each other or anything else (tape them if need be), plug motor connector back in and try again using the jumper across the speed switch connectors. If you still have the problem, one other possibility is that the contacts in the motor centrifugal switch for the start winding are not opening when the motor gets up to speed. I know you checked that switch before and also confirmed the motor would operate in a lower speed so it appears the switch is working properly but there is a way to check it for sure.

Eric

Last edited by fairbank56 : 05-10-2013 at 05:53 AM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.