Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mppkll  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 5, 2013 4:11:29 AM(UTC)
Mppkll

Groups: Registered

I'm working on my Maytag LA512S series 04 (counter wighted transmission) washer. When it goes into spin / drain mode it starts to spin, gains a little speed then the motor thermal switch kicks out and some winding heat can be smelled. I noticed it was hard to turn the drum so I checked for foreign objects / clothing in-between the spin basket and outer drum, found none. Replaced the spin bearing and belts and reassembled. I then had no problem with manually spinning the drum and the break seems to release fully when I spin the pulley manually however I still have the same issue. The motor seems to run fine without the drive belt attached. I have noticed that in the agitate mode and in reverse (spin) with no belt the motor centrifugal switch kicks off normally, but when in spin with the belt on the start switch never kicks off yet the motor gets to about half speed before the thermal switch cuts out.

Is this an issue with the motor? Is there separate windings for reverse? What resistance should the windings be? What's the next step?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.