Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Scott56  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 1, 2013 4:59:40 AM(UTC)
Scott56

Groups: Registered

Background: For about a year or more, the washer has made a banging/clatter noise on every rotation of the tub. This happened while operating, and also when I would rotate it by hand. However, it worked in all other respects, so I didn't mess with it.

A couple of days ago, the tub stopped rotating. I opened it up, and the belt had come off. The belt looks fine. When I rotate the tub now, there is no banging noise. The tub turns smoothly and quietly. I don't know if this means that the bearing is fine, although there is now no tension on it.

The pulley wobbles, as you can see in this short video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2oFACRb-A

In the video, I said that I couldn't get the bolt out. However, subsequent to that, with the judicious use of a pipe wrench and allen wrench, I got it apart.

There was a lot of black powdery stuff behind the pulley, covering the bearing surface. Is that from the belt, or did it come out of the bearing?

The pulley definitely wobbles on the shaft - it is not the bearing or shaft that is loose.

I simply can not tighten the bolt down to where the pulley does not wobble like that. Looking at the way the conical bolt sits in the pulley, I'm not even sure it *can* be tightened all the way down. Is there supposed to be a washer or spacer in there? Is the pulley supposed to fit tightly onto the shaft even without the bolt, because it does not.

Is the loose pulley the source of the banging noise on each rotation? Can I put a washer between the pulley and the shaft to help seat it? Would a new pulley fit snugly? Even though the belt looks fine, could it possibly need a new one?

Dirty clothes are piling up, so I need to figure this out quickly, or get a new machine.

Thank you for any assistance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.