Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mce3  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 10:20:33 PM(UTC)
mce3

Groups: Registered

Hey, I ended up getting the wrong seal for my LG WM2277HW, mine does not have the bottom drain but the seal I received does. The bottom drain seal is a better design!

I read a few posts about converting to the newer seal, could you please tell me if my machine can be converted and exactly what parts I need?

thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:59:58 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mce3 Go to Quoted Post
Hey, I ended up getting the wrong seal for my LG WM2277HW, mine does not have the bottom drain but the seal I received does. The bottom drain seal is a better design!

I read a few posts about converting to the newer seal, could you please tell me if my machine can be converted and exactly what parts I need?

thanks!

MCE, Yes, your washer can be "converted" to a boot with drain system. It will require quite a few parts and time to perform the conversion :

Part number: AP4439003
Part number: AP4439003
boot/gasket (with drain) you have this
Part number: AP5236080
Part number: AP5236080
tub cover assembly
Part number: AP4998497
Part number: AP4998497
drain hose
Part number: AP4998498
Part number: AP4998498
hose coupler/connector
Part number: AP4436591
Part number: AP4436591
counter weight

*The three(3) clamps needed to attach the drain hose and the boot drain to the connector and cover are not available from the manufacturer (4861ER3068A), but can be gotten at a local hardware, home improvement center or auto parts store.*

It's a big project but "do able"

If you have a change of heart, the original "boot" without the drain hose should be

Part number: AP4439002
Part number: AP4439002

Thanks,
mce3  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:55:04 PM(UTC)
mce3

Thanks Joe, I have those in my cart now and have access to hose clamps. I work on cars for a living and have a good mechanical aptitude, so I think I can take this task on!
Last weekend I replaced the drain pump on the machine, so I have an idea of what it will take to do the conversion...it looks like the weight is bolt-on and easy, but what about the front tub assembly swap?
[LIST=1]
  • does the whole tub assembly have to come out to do this?
  • if yes, is there any video instruction you know of to use as a guide?
  • is there a seal in between the tub halves?
  • if yes can the seal be reused?
  • any other pointers or suggestions, or are there instructions available?[/LIST]thanks again for you help!

-mce3
  • Joe / APP Team  
    #4 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:46:50 AM(UTC)
    Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
    Originally Posted by: mce3 Go to Quoted Post
    Thanks Joe, I have those in my cart now and have access to hose clamps. I work on cars for a living and have a good mechanical aptitude, so I think I can take this task on!
    Last weekend I replaced the drain pump on the machine, so I have an idea of what it will take to do the conversion...it looks like the weight is bolt-on and easy, but what about the front tub assembly swap?
    [LIST=1]
  • does the whole tub assembly have to come out to do this?
  • if yes, is there any video instruction you know of to use as a guide?
  • is there a seal in between the tub halves?
  • if yes can the seal be reused?
  • any other pointers or suggestions, or are there instructions available?[/LIST]thanks again for you help!

-mce3

• MCE, Yes there is a seal between the two tubs,

Part number: AP4437757
    Part number: AP4437757

Thanks for the reminder, and yes, it should be replaced.

The "whole" tub assembly doesn't really have to be removed, and being a mechanic, you'll probably figure something out. but you will need to remove the top, control panel, and front panel. You can leave the tub "hanging" by the upper suspension springs as an alternative.

We don't have a video that pertains to the job you'll be doing, but we can supply you with some illustrated information from our library. We would need to get an email address in order to assist you with that. We're sure theres lots of video information on "You Tube" as well.

Thanks,
    mce3  
    #5 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:43:21 AM(UTC)
    mce3

Ok, need some advice. First, you said you could email me some diagrams which I would appreciate. Can you get my email address from my order# 3307917? Don't want to post it here.

Here are questions related to attached photos...

Dampener: In taking off the front tub housing, I pulled the dampeners apart. They look fine, and slide back together easily.
    [LIST=1]
  • Are the rubber rings supposed to be split? If yes, do they need to be put on 180 degrees offset to get better seal?
  • Do they need to be lubricated, if so with what?
  • Should they be pretty stiff when manually testing them?[/LIST]Which Hole: The newer design tub seal has three areas marked for cutout, but none are.
    [LIST=1]
  • I'm guessing I use the one with the "X"?
  • Any special method to cut the hole without otherwise damaging the seal?[/LIST]Thermister hole missing: The new front tub cover does not have a hole for the thermistor.
    [LIST=1]
  • Any specs on it or measure from old and drill it out? I want to avoid leaks![/LIST]Heater Gasket: It looks like it either had some type of sealer on it or it's just gunk. Any special instructions on re-installing, again to assure no leaks?

Lastly, the spring removal tool I bought looks like it's only designed to be used on the inner spring, not the outer. What's the preferred way to get the outer spring re-installed?

Thanks for your help guys, this is quite a project, hopefully will be worth it to get rid of the yuck of the old design.
    mce3 attached the following image(s):
    Dampener.JPG
    heater gasket.JPG
    thermister hole missing.JPG
    which hole.JPG
    yuck.JPG
  • Quick Reply Show Quick Reply